Chapter 28

Becky dashed to the girls' restroom, leaving me no choice but to follow. Her eyes were still brimming with tears, and she struggled to walk, yet she made it inside. Just before she could close the door, I entered and locked it behind me.

"Why are you here?" I asked. "Didn't I tell you to rest?"

"Why?" she shot back. "So you could flirt with that girl?"

"What are you talking about? You're the one flirting outside the cafe, Becky. I saw you with a woman," I retorted.

Becky huffed and rolled her eyes. "And now you're pointing fingers? I asked my friend to bring me here because I wanted to surprise you. I wanted to know what you were doing, and she suggested we wait at the cafe. Is that girl the cafe owner? Is she richer than me?"

"Do you think I let you pursue me because you're rich?" I asked, offended. "Do you think I'm that shallow?"

"Then why are you hanging out with her during class hours? Why are you there, Freen?" She snapped.

"I can't focus in class, so I decided to stay at the cafe, okay? Faye is like a sister to me, Becky!" I yelled.

"So am I!" She yelled back. "You treat me like a sister too, Freen. How am I supposed to know if you really like someone? I'm confused. Everyone likes you, everyone wants to be with you, and your only reason is you treat them like a sister. But you treat me like that too. Am I even special to you?" Tears streamed down her face.

I looked away. Did I really want to be with this person? If Becky and I became lovers, she would forbid me from seeing Faye because she was jealous. She wouldn't let me hang out with my friends. She would just chain me to her side. I didn't want that. I didn't want to be tied down.

"I'm not even special to you, Becky. You have someone too. The girl who fetched you that night after bar-hopping. The girl who brought you here. The William guy who wanted to visit you. You're not alone, Becky. You have everyone else aside from your family," I explained, lowering my gaze. "I don't want to argue anymore. I don't want to explain myself every time I'm seen with other people. You don't like me, Bec. You just want to keep me chained to your side."

I turned to leave, but Becky hugged me from behind. "Is it wrong to get jealous?" she asked softly. "I don't just like you, Freen. It's more than that. I just can't stand seeing you with other girls so close, especially when it wasn't me. I want to be your everything. I want to be the person you're excited to see. That after a long, tiring day, you come home and hug me. I want to be that person in your life, babe. I'm sorry."

"Let me think about it," I said, gently removing her hands before leaving the restroom.

***

I returned to the cafe where Faye was serving students. She was indeed friendly to everyone. After helping her serve, I ignored her question about Becky and sighed.

"Faye, she's jealous again. I can't keep explaining who I'm with. It's exhausting," I said, putting the tray away.

Faye raised her eyebrows. "And you're here to avoid talking to her?"

"It's not that. I'm tired of explaining myself all the time. She's doing the same. She was out here even though I told her not to go out. She's with someone who seems to really care for her. If she has someone, why does she need me?" I asked, my voice rising.

"Go back home and talk to her, Freen. I don't like seeing you like this. You've changed a lot," Faye sighed, making another milk tea.

I followed Faye's advice. I trusted her more than anyone else.

At Becky's home, Billy and I were greeted by the maid.

"I'll talk to her first," Billy said, entering Becky's room while I waited in the guest room.

Faye sent me messages, but I didn't reply. I didn't know what to tell Becky. I wanted to tell her everything, but what if I was wrong? What if I got tired of her expectations? I didn't want to commit just yet. I didn't want responsibility. But I didn't know how to give her peace without revealing anything.

After Billy left, I found Becky studying at her desk.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, removing her glasses. "Are you tired? Do you want me to make the bed for you?" Her voice softened.

"I'm sorry," I said, hugging her.

Becky furrowed her brows and rubbed my back. "Aren't you mad?"

"Aren't you turned off? I always blame you for things I'm also at fault for. Do you still like me?" I asked.

"I'm just jealous, Freen. Of course, I still like you," she replied.

I stood up, caressing her cheeks. "Can you be open with me? Can you tell me about the girl who brought you to school? The guy named William? Can you always be honest with me?" I asked. "Because if yes, I will too."

"That's not a question, Freen. I'll even set up a meeting for you to meet them," she said, smiling sweetly. "I'm sorry too."

"I'm just worried. You defy my orders. You went to school even though you're not fully healed. You know how much I care for you, right?" I bent down to her level. "I like you, Becky. And I don't know what I'd do if something happened to you again."