Chapter 40

I half-expected Faye to drive me home, but instead, she brought me to a hospital. I couldn't fathom why we were here—neither of us was sick. Confusion furrowed my brow, but I followed her lead. Her steps seemed purposeful, and we eventually halted outside a room. I glanced at Faye, puzzled. What were we doing here? Was someone in need of medical attention?

"Go inside," Faye instructed, motioning for me to enter. I hesitated, feeling the need for her presence beside me.

Reaching for her hand, I saw her sigh before nodding. Pushing the door open, we found Mew lying on the bed, fast asleep.

My heart clenched. What had happened to him? He'd claimed to be busy with work, unable to come home. Why was he here, of all places?

"Your brother didn't want to worry you. He thought he'd get better soon," Faye explained softly as I gazed at my slumbering brother.

Tears welled up as I noticed his pallor and frailty. He was a mere shadow of the strong, protective brother who would carry me to bed when I sulked in the corner. Seeing him like this broke me.

"What's going on, Faye? Why is he here?" I choked out, tears streaming down my face as I reached for his hand.

"He's been diagnosed with familial dilated cardiomyopathy. It's a genetic heart condition. He's struggling to walk, to speak... It was too late when he found out," Faye elucidated gently.

"What do you mean, too late?" I demanded, my voice cracking.

"He only has a few weeks left," Faye replied softly, attempting to steady me as my knees threatened to give way. Despite her efforts, I stumbled to the floor, consumed by sobs and anguish.

"Who are they to decide how long my brother has?" I cried out. "He'll live. This is all so sudden, Faye. I need more time with him. I want to be by his side a little longer." Faye guided me to a chair beside Mew's bed, where I clutched his hand tightly, swallowing back my anguish.

"W-Why are you here?" Mew's voice startled me as he stirred awake, his gaze shifting between me and Faye.

"She's the only one who didn't know, Mew," Faye replied, biting her lip before stepping out to give us privacy.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner? Before it got this bad? While I was out there, living my life, you were here, suffering," I lamented, tears blurring my vision.

"F-Freen," Mew rasped, squeezing my hand gently. "I know you're strong. Y-you can carry on without me." He mustered a feeble smile, but I shook my head vehemently.

"I can't!" I protested. "I lost Mom and Dad, and you stepped in to fill that void. You've been my rock. And now you're leaving too? How can I go on?" I clung to him desperately, refusing to accept what lay ahead.

"S-soon, I'll be gone. It's hard to say goodbye, Freen. Hard to let go. But I need you to be strong," Mew implored, reaching to brush a strand of hair from my face. "I believe in you. You can carry on."

"No one can move on if we lose you, Mew!" I cried out. "Family doesn't move on after losing one of their own. Can't you see that?" Tears flowed unchecked as I grappled with the impending loss.

"I-I'm fighting, Freen. That's why I'm still here," Mew murmured, his grip on my hand tightening.

"Stay," I begged, desperation lacing my voice.

"You'll be okay," Mew reassured me, closing his eyes. "Don't make this harder than it already is, Freen. Let me go, so I can find peace."

Reluctantly, I released his hand, burying my face in my hands as I wept. Was he waiting for my acceptance to finally let go? Did he consider the ramifications of his departure on those left behind?

"Then let me care for you, brother," I whispered through tears. "I'll stay by your side until the end. I won't leave."

Mew regarded me with tenderness, nodding in acquiescence. Moments later, Faye returned with food, urging me to eat before she took over caring for Mew for the night. Reluctantly, I obliged, knowing Mew would want me to attend my classes the next day.

After eating, Faye arranged for Mile to fetch me. Before leaving, she grasped my hand, offering reassurance.

"I know this is hard. But remember, I'm here for you, always. Mile and Bright are too," Faye said, her smile tinged with concern. "Mew couldn't bring himself to tell you everything, knowing you'd struggle to accept it. But it's equally difficult for him."

"Do you think there's hope for him?" I asked, desperation creeping into my voice.

"There's no cure for his condition. And unfortunately, it's too late now. If only he'd known sooner," Faye sighed, gazing up at the sky. "It's genetic, Freen. He inherited it from your mother. You should get tested too."

"I'm not like him, Faye. I won't suffer the same fate. I'm healthy," I insisted, pulling away as Mile's motorcycle pulled up. Climbing on behind him, I waved to Faye before we rode off.

"So he told you?" Mile asked as we sped away.

"How can you accept this so easily, Mile?" I murmured, still struggling to process everything.

"To spare him the burden of worrying about us. I can't accept it either. But sometimes, we have to put aside our own feelings for the sake of others. Can you do that, even just this once?" Mile's words hung heavy in the air as we rode on.

I remained silent, grappling with the weight of impending loss. I'd done it before, but this time, it felt different. In the end, I was the one left with the pain and the emptiness.