Chapter 9

I couldn't escape from Becky. With classes interrupted, I felt trapped, unsure of where to go. I needed to deal with her, as much as I wanted to avoid her.

"Is this your house?" I asked, looking around as Becky led me to her mansion where we would start our session.

Her mansion was extravagant, especially for a single person. She mentioned having maids, and sometimes her friends stayed over to accompany her.

"Where's your friend now?" I inquired again as we entered her room. I noticed one maid present, but instead of answering, Becky instructed the maid to prepare a tuna sandwich for us. "I'm allergic to tuna. I'll just have a cheeseburger."

Becky turned to me. "Sure, cheeseburger will do."

As we entered her room, I was taken aback by its size. It was clear that she was incredibly wealthy. She could have attended any university she wanted, but she chose ours. Perhaps Billy had influenced her decision.

"This is my room. The door over there leads to my study room," Becky explained, pointing to a door before flopping onto her bed. She motioned for me to enter the study, which I did, unable to resist my curiosity.

When I opened the door, I was greeted by a sanctuary of books, a desk with a computer, and shelves filled with various study materials. It was clear that Becky was serious about her academics.

"You annotate books?" I asked, impressed.

"Yeah, it's a form of free therapy," she replied, joining me in the study. "I find it helps pass the time."

"I used to do that a lot when I was a kid," I admitted, scanning the titles of the books she had read. "What's your favorite?"

"Pride and Prejudice. I love how Elizabeth's misconceptions about Mr. Darcy evolve into genuine affection as she comes to understand him better," Becky explained with a smile.

"Okay," I murmured, feeling a bit out of place. "Actually, I'm not very good at teaching people. I wasn't... I wasn't exactly at the top of my class."

"It's okay. You can teach me what you know," Becky reassured me, approaching me. I realized then that I was taller than her, and for some reason, I couldn't stop staring at her. Everything about her seemed beautiful.

"We're not in the same college, Becky. I can't teach you anything related to your program. I don't understand why the president chose me to tutor you when there are surely more qualified candidates out there," I explained.

"I'm the one who chose you, Freen," Becky said, looking into my eyes. "You don't have to teach me anything while we're here. I just want you to be here." The way she said it made me feel guilty. She would be paying me for every hour I spent with her. Was she really this desperate for attention? What had happened to her?

I simply nodded, and she smiled at me. I excused myself to fetch the snacks she had requested from the maid, and she agreed. As I made my way to the kitchen, I encountered an older maid pouring juice into a glass. Her face lit up when she saw me, and she pulled me into the kitchen.

"Do you know how happy we were when Miss Becky brought a friend home?" the maid exclaimed. "She doesn't usually bring friends here. Some of them weren't genuine. One time, she came home crying, saying that her friends were talking behind her back and only after her money."

"When was that?" I asked, intrigued.

"I think it was in high school. It's been a while. But after that, Becky stopped bringing friends home. She mostly hung out with her childhood friend, Irin. But then Richie, her brother, started pursuing Irin romantically, so the two of them didn't hang out as much," the maid explained. "Becky had a wonderful childhood, but she wasn't prepared for adulthood. I hope you won't treat her the way others have."

"Who are the others? What did they do to Becky?" I probed further.

The maid sighed. "After finishing primary school, Becky's father built her this house. She lived here alone for years. Her father believed she needed to learn to be independent after being sheltered for so long." She reached out and took my hand. "Please take care of Becky's heart. She's been alone for a long time and has been betrayed by many. Don't do the same. I'm not telling you this to make you pity her."

"I understand," I replied with a smile, gently removing my hand from hers. "But Becky and I aren't really friends. I'm just here to tutor her."

"Tutor?" the old maid furrowed her brows. "Becky is incredibly intelligent. Why would she need a tutor?"

"What?" I scoffed, taken aback.

"Oh... maybe that was before. I must go," she said abruptly, walking away. She wasn't supposed to say that, I realized.

If Becky wasn't struggling academically, then why did she need me? Was she really just seeking my company? Why would she go to such lengths, even asking the president to remove me from my position, just for this? I could provide companionship, but beyond that, I couldn't give her what she needed.

As I looked up the stairs toward Becky's room, I couldn't help but wonder what was really going on. If she wanted something from me, I'm sorry, but I couldn't give it to her.