Chapter 50

I didn't waste any more time. I went to Freen's house without telling anyone. I wanted to see her right away, and if I had asked her beforehand, she wouldn't have texted me back, so I decided to surprise her. However, I was the one who was surprised.

Their lively home wasn't lively anymore. It was silent, like just a house and no longer a home. It was as if something had happened here. Even though I didn't know what it was, I could feel the sadness within me. I could feel the heavy atmosphere, the daunting one. I knocked on the door and saw Mile open it. He looked okay, healthy as ever. However, behind him was the person I loathed, yet my feelings softened when I saw her face.

What happened to her? She looked pale, as if she hadn't eaten for a year. Her puffy eyes told me everything. She had been crying, I guess. And the worst part was I wasn't even there.

Mile opened the door widely and excused himself to give Freen and me some space. I couldn't move. I couldn't even enter their house. The atmosphere was suffocating. I could feel how difficult her situation had been these past few days. I hadn't even realized it.

"You came," Freen sadly smiled at me.

"I didn't leave." Those were the only words that came out of my mouth. I hadn't left at all. I was just waiting for her to chase me, to prove herself to me that she was worthy of my love. How come I was the one who was at fault now? I felt like I had left her.

"I miss you," she said and slowly walked towards me, then hugged me tightly. I missed her warmth. I missed her presence, her vibrant presence. "I'm sorry if I didn't call you. I was busy with so much stuff." Freen smiled again and gestured for me to enter their house.

We walked into their living room, and she offered me water as soon as I sat down. She wasn't herself, as if she wasn't the girl who had given me the bracelet weeks ago and then ran off because of embarrassment. The living room was silent, and Freen was nervously playing with her fingers. Was she thinking that I was here to scold her?

"How are you?" I asked.

"I don't know," Freen shook her head, and her eyes began to well up. "I don't know what to feel, what to say, or how to act."

I looked around and saw that there had been no changes in their living room. What had actually happened?

"I heard Bright wouldn't play at the tournament anymore, and you're dropping out of school. Do Mew and Mile know about this?" I asked again.

"Mile knew. Mew didn't." Freen looked me in the eyes. "He's at peace now. He didn't need to think about us anymore."

I was taken aback. Was this the reason why she didn't go to school? Was this her personal reason why she didn't come to that ball? Why didn't she tell me?

"If that's your reason, why didn't you just tell me?" I asked. "I can understand you, Freen. I'm willing to understand you."

Freen shook her head. "It wasn't about us anymore, Becky. Mew died. And your parents..." she sniffed, and all her tears fell. "They took care of all of our bills. They helped us. You knew that we're not as rich as you, right?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, my heart pounding instantaneously.

"We wanted to save Mew, and your parents knew about that. Did you know that Mew's doctor is their friend?" Freen asked and wiped her tears. "I was so grateful that they helped us give medication to Mew and even give him a proper burial."

"I didn't know about it."

"Because they didn't want me to tell you," Freen smiled bitterly. "I love you so much, Becky. But I love my brother too. That's why I accepted everything they offered but with the condition to leave you."

I didn't know what to say again. Freen was just being practical here. I couldn't offer her help like that. I didn't control my money.

"The day I slapped Billy was because he told me that I was blinded by money. He told me that I should choose you over anything, but that's not how life works, Becky." Freen shook her head and covered her face with her hands. "I didn't want to tell you this because I would breach our contract, but I think you deserve an explanation."

"I won't tell them," I reassured her. "But are you really leaving me?"

"We're no longer kids, Becky. We have to choose." Freen reached for my hand and knelt before me. "I want to choose you over anything, I want to chase you until the end of the world. I want to be with you. You're my dream, my safe space, my best friend, my enemy, my everything. However, let's be realistic here. Let's not give up our dreams for each other. And I know someday, you will understand me. You can find someone like me, someone who will love you more than anything. Someone who won't be blinded by money."

"Okay," I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked above to prevent my tears from falling. "So this is the end? After all that happened? After all those efforts, those memories? This is the end?"

Freen sat beside me, caressed my cheeks gently, slowly kissed my forehead, and hugged me tightly again.

"This is our end, but I will love you every day. I will do my part until the end, which is to wait until everything is fine. Right now, let's part ways. Let us grow first. And when I have everything, I won't be scared to steal you from anyone else." Freen smiled, making me smile too. "I love you, okay? But I won't pressure you into anything. Your parents want you to go to the US; they told me to stop contacting you for a while so you won't hesitate to leave. But when you're back, when I'm fine, and you realize you still love me, we'll restart again. Do you understand?"

I nodded and hugged her again. When I'm back, I will love you with all my heart.