Chapter 46

If Freen was only doing what I did to her in the past months, then I must admit I was quite annoying back then. Picture this: during our practices, following her council duties, she'd wait for me at the bench and walk with me until we reached the parking lot. She'd even leave a water bottle beside my bag if she had to rush to the office. Along with it, a note reminding me to stay hydrated and not skip meals. I couldn't figure out her intentions. Was she aiming to be my girlfriend or my mother?

"Another note?" Irin queried as she settled beside me on the bench, spotting yet another message from Freen. It simply mentioned her unavailability due to a meeting, preventing her from attending our practice. It was the penultimate day of practice before our upcoming tournament, marking the end of football for the semester. With finals looming, focusing on academics was imperative.

"Yeah," I sighed, crumpling the paper before tossing it into the nearest trash can I could spot.

In recent days, instead of deepening my affection for her, I found myself increasingly irritated by Freen's actions. I was fed up with it all. I just wanted to concentrate on my goals. Yet, the thought of her ceasing her efforts saddened me. I wasn't sure if it was the right time to address it.

"It seems Freen is smitten with you," Irin remarked, taking a sip of water. "Why not ask her to stop if you're not interested? You're leading her on."

"She deserves it," I muttered, leaning back on the bench, observing my teammates practice as I waited. But why was I waiting?

Gathering my duffle bag, I checked its contents before slinging it over my shoulder.

"Leaving already?" Irin questioned. "I thought we were heading to the café first? They've got a new milk tea flavor. Wouldn't you like to try it?"

"The café near the school?" I inquired, recalling it was owned by Freen's friend—Faye. Though the nature of their relationship eluded me, they were undeniably close—almost like sisters. I doubted the owner viewed Freen as merely a friend, given the way she looked at her. I had once looked at Freen in the same manner.

"But I've changed my mind. Your uncle wouldn't approve if I took you there," Irin remarked, dabbing powder on her face, glancing at her reflection in a handheld mirror.

"Why's that? I've been there a few times before, and he never objected," I countered, crossing my arms.

"Isn't that where you and Freen broke up?" Irin chuckled. "Your uncle has his reasons. It's personal. I'm not sure what transpired between him and the owner, but he holds a grudge."

"Freen and I broke up because she didn't love me, that's all," I retorted, rolling my eyes and rising from the bench so we could depart.

"Fair enough," Irin acquiesced, following suit. She hugged me before heading to her car.

I didn't harbor any ill will toward Faye, the café owner. She was pleasant enough, even reprimanding Freen after she kissed her. Yet, revisiting the café would only dredge up memories of Freen. I had no desire to dwell on them. Freen's current efforts would be in vain; I was resolved to leave, regardless of her attempts.

"Becky!" a familiar voice called out from behind, causing me to wince upon recognition. "Heading home?"

"I'll leave you two," Irin chimed in before entering her car.

Damn you, Irin. Why abandon me now of all times?

"I'm searching for a café," I replied curtly, stowing my duffle bag in my car.

"I can recommend a nice one," Freen offered, but I declined. Cease this, Freen. You'll only hurt yourself in the end.

"I can't go to your friend's café. I'm not permitted," I stated, starting the engine. However, she remained, preventing me from pulling out of the parking space. "Are you trying to get yourself hurt?" This woman was exasperating.

"I won't budge until you agree to take me with you," she declared, arms crossed, brows furrowed. What game was she playing now?

"Would you rather end up injured?" I threatened, yet she remained unmoved. With a sigh, I exited the car, placing my hands on my hips, awaiting her explanation. "Seriously? Can't you see I'm exhausted and just want to unwind? I don't need your input on cafés. I can find one myself. I'm not a baby."

"You are," Freen countered.

"What?"

"My baby."

Once more, I rolled my eyes. I resisted the urge to kick my tires in frustration. Would she persist with this behavior? She was squandering her time on me. If she went home and spent time with her brothers, they would surely appreciate it.

"Please, let me show you this café," she implored, clasping her hands, blinking repeatedly.

"Don't you have other obligations?" I questioned.

"Don't you want to come with me?" she persisted, sighing. She glanced around, nodding slowly. Was she conceding defeat? About time. "Fine, I'll do it here," she relented.

Furrowing my brows, I crossed my arms as she cleared her throat.

"Can..." She nibbled on her lower lip. "Do you know about the masquerade ball next week?" she inquired.

"There hasn't been an announcement yet."

"Be my date, Bec. No more hesitations," Freen approached, sliding a bracelet onto my wrist. "Consider this a mark that you're already taken. You can't entertain other invitations." With that, she pursed her lips and dashed away.

If only she wasn't older than me, I would consider her as a kid.