Chapter 20

Morning had already arrived when Mew came to the old house to pick us up. He brought along some food and insisted we eat before heading back.

"Eat up, Bec. I'll just have a chat with my brother," I said, then headed to the living room to talk to Mew.

"What's going on, Freen? Why are you here with Becky again?" Mew asked, his expression stern. "Didn't I tell you to avoid these overnight stays? What if something happened to both of you? It's driving me crazy."

"I can explain," I sighed. "But for now, I need to get her back home. I didn't intend to spend more time with her."

"Wow," Mew huffed. "You claim you don't want to, yet you're still here. Even after I told you to go home, no exceptions. I can't bear the thought of losing you, Freen. I know you care about people deeply, but can you prioritize yourself just this once? What's so special about Becky that you're always looking out for her?" His tone shifted to one of scolding.

"I don't have feelings for her," I replied, struggling to find the right words. "I'm just... concerned."

"I'm not saying you can't like someone or date them," Mew reasoned. "But if it's just worry, then help her call someone to pick her up. You can assist her without sacrificing so much time. This isn't just about worrying, Freen. Why can't you admit that you like her? If she's your girlfriend, I'd understand. But if you keep insisting she's just a friend, I'll be concerned. You can't save everyone in the world."

"Why not, Mew?" I countered. "If you had a friend in need, wouldn't you help them too?"

"Of course, but I wouldn't spend all my time with them," Mew replied firmly. "I'd wait in the car. Explain everything later."

I took a deep breath before returning to the kitchen, where Becky was finishing her meal. She glanced at me innocently as she wiped her lips with a napkin.

"Maybe Mew has a point," I whispered to myself.

"What did he say?" Becky asked, noticing my subdued demeanor.

"Nothing. Are you finished?" I asked, quickly cleaning up after her nod.

I couldn't comprehend why Mew got so upset every time I was with Becky. And would it really be okay if she were my girlfriend? Did he think I would drop everything for her? I hadn't even done that for Billy.

Wait, was that his point? That I was going too far for Becky?

I turned to Becky, who was taking a sip of water. She raised an eyebrow, puzzled.

"What's wrong?" she asked, closing the water bottle.

"Nothing," I shook my head.

"You're acting strange today, Freen. What's going on?" Becky asked, reaching out to touch my forehead as if checking for a fever. "You seem fine."

I flinched at her touch. It was warm, and I couldn't handle it. Now I was starting to doubt myself. This confusion was all Mew's fault.

"Head to the car. I'll lock up the house," I said, relieved when Becky complied. I waited until she was out of sight before letting my knees give out. What was happening to me? I was perfectly fine just a while ago before Mew got into my head. What was he trying to say? That I was in denial? I knew how I felt, but his words had planted seeds of doubt in my mind. Damn it.

"Why did it take you so long?" Mew asked as I settled into the passenger seat. Becky was asleep in the back.

"I needed some time to think," I replied, fastening my seatbelt. "Let's go. I need some rest."

"Why don't you tell me what's on your mind? We've got a long drive ahead," Mew said, glancing at me before focusing back on the road. "You know I'll understand. Just give me an honest reason. Freen, I can't picture you spending all night with every friend in need. I can't see you traveling so far just because your friend is... well, in trouble."

"You know the story, right?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Bits and pieces. Heard it from Bright," Mew sighed. "Look, I'm glad you have a big heart. But... you can't keep doing this, Freen. It's not sustainable."

"How do I know if I like someone?" I asked bluntly. "I don't even know what love feels like."

Mew chuckled and glanced at the rearview mirror to check if Becky was still asleep. "You like her, Freen. Trust me."

"That's not what I asked," I replied, gazing out the window, feeling conflicted.

"If Billy were in this situation, would you stay with him?" Mew queried.

"Of course," I answered reflexively. But no, I wouldn't. Billy could find his own way home and call for help if needed. But Becky was different. She didn't have anyone else. Mew wouldn't understand that.

"I doubt it, Freen. But it's okay if you can't admit it to yourself," Mew said. "Sometimes, actions speak louder than words. Even if you can't tell her or yourself, your actions will reveal the truth."

"How do I convince you I don't like her? I see her as a sister, that's all. If Bright were in this situation, he'd do the same," I argued.

"Bright knew the situation, yet he didn't stay," Mew pointed out. "Instead, he asked me to pick you up. He helped you, but not to the extent you're helping Becky. See the difference?"

"No, I don't like her," I insisted, crossing my arms. "And I never will."

"Okay, if that's what you want," Mew shrugged. "I'll just hope that if someday you realize you do like her, she'll still feel the same way about you."