Chapter 34

The next day dragged on with boredom, leading me to seek refuge at Faye's cafe near the school. I shot Becky a text, letting her know I'd be waiting for her there after her class, and she agreed. However, Faye seemed to be giving me the cold shoulder. While she served other students with a smile, her expression turned blank when it came to taking my order.

"What's wrong?" I inquired as she placed the slice of cake in front of me.

"Dig in," she replied, patting my head in a gesture that hinted she wasn't upset with me. But I couldn't shake off the feeling. If she was in a sour mood, it would affect everyone at the cafe, possibly even leading to its closure.

"Did you catch Becky earlier? She looked adorable, especially when she flashed that smile after scoring," a girl giggled as she and her friend entered the cafe.

"Becky's a sweetheart, you know? She reciprocates everyone's affection. You're not special," her friend remarked, rolling her eyes.

"Well, I'll make sure I become special to her someday. I heard the whole football team is selling their old jerseys for a fundraiser next week. I'm definitely buying hers. I hope she doesn't wash it," the girl declared, taking a seat while I silently listened in.

"Is she really that fragrant?" her friend questioned, making a face. "Even after sweating?"

"Absolutely. I caught a whiff of her once in the restroom while she was washing her face," the girl affirmed before calling for Faye's attention.

I sighed, fighting the urge to confront her. After all, she hadn't done anything wrong. It was natural to admire my girlfriend. She's stunning, smells divine, she's perfect—how could anyone not like her? But I couldn't shake off the desire to be the sole object of her affection.

"Freen, could you lend a hand over here?" Faye's voice broke through my thoughts, pulling me back to reality. "There are two girls waiting for their Okinawa."

"Sure thing," I replied with a smirk.

"Just behave yourself, okay? I need to take your brother's call. He's been pestering me since last night," Faye sighed.

"Why's he bothering you?" I inquired. "Did he want something?"

"Not really," she replied before motioning for me to prepare the drinks.

I fulfilled the order and served the drinks with a smile, earning a nod of recognition from the two girls.

"Miss Pres, do you have classes today?" the girl who seemed infatuated with Becky asked.

"Nope. Just waiting for my girlfriend," I glanced at my watch. "She'll be here any minute now."

"Oh, you're spoken for? I thought you were with Billy," her friend chimed in, prompting me to shake my head with a smile.

"I thought you were busy with school. Can we ask who she is? My friend and I are part of the LGBTQ+ community too. It's nice to see others out and proud," the girl smiled, taking a sip of her drink.

"Actually, there she is," I gestured towards the door, spotting Becky making her way inside. As our eyes met, she beamed and headed towards me.

"Hey, babe. Been waiting long?" she greeted, planting a kiss on my cheek.

The two girls were left speechless. Yes, the girl they admired was my beloved partner, so they'd best keep their distance and respect our boundaries.

"Hi, Becky!" the girl waved, receiving a nod in return before Becky wrapped her arm around my waist.

Just then, Faye returned to the counter, her gaze immediately drawn to Becky's hand on me.

"I'm heading home. Are you closing up the cafe?" I inquired.

"I'll do it later," she replied, returning to her tasks. I noticed a tattoo on Faye's back that I hadn't seen before, but I shrugged it off knowing she wouldn't reveal it no matter how much I prodded.

Becky and I hopped into her new car, stowing her duffle bag in the backseat before she settled into the passenger seat.

Today, I'd be the one driving, as we were making a stop at her place before heading to mine. She mentioned wanting to show me something.

"Why all the excitement?" I teased as I parked the car.

"Just come," she rolled her eyes and hopped out.

I followed her until we reached a room I'd never entered before—it was always locked.

Inside, I found Becky's childhood room. How did I know? Well, the decor was a dead giveaway.

"Do you like it?" Becky asked eagerly.

"What's to like?" I replied, leaning against the doorframe with furrowed brows.

"I've set this up for our future child. Do you approve?" she beamed.

I nearly choked on air. What was she talking about? She brought me here just to show off a room she'd organized for our hypothetical daughter? We'd only been together for a day. Just a day, and yet she'd gone this far?

"I had the maid do this earlier. Luckily, they finished up," she explained, smiling as she sat on the child-sized bed. "My dad always said to plan ahead."

"You're planning a bit too far ahead," I chuckled, rolling my eyes.

"But isn't that a good thing? In 4-5 years, we'll be married, then we'll have a child. And since you work from home, you can stay with the kid while I travel for work and bring home trophies for both of you," she envisioned with a smile.

I sighed, taking her hand and meeting her gaze. Honestly, I couldn't see a future with her. It felt like once she went pro and traveled abroad, we'd drift apart and eventually break up.

"Let's eat first. Maybe you're just hungry?" I suggested, standing up.

"Didn't you like my surprise?" she asked, her expression turning worried.

"I did, but let's focus on the present," I smiled.

I didn't want her to cling to hopes of a future together. I wanted to hope too, but I couldn't bear the pain of expectation.