Chapter 10

Arriving home, I noticed an unfamiliar car parked outside. With dusk settling in, unexpected visitors seemed unlikely. Upon entering, I found Mile and Mew engaged in lively conversation. Their laughter filled the room, though I couldn't grasp the topic. As they spotted me in the doorway to the dining area, their chatter ceased, and they turned their attention to me.

"Where have you been? Join us for dinner," Mile offered, and I nodded, setting down my bag and taking a seat at the table.

"Where's Bright?" I inquired. The two exchanged a glance before Mew gestured upstairs.

"He's studying. Though I'm not sure what for. Aren't your classes scheduled for Friday?" Mew asked. "Did you catch him before he left?"

I shook my head. "I woke up, and he was already gone."

"Why?" Mile questioned. "Don't tell me it's because of that game?"

"I believe so," I replied, lowering my gaze as I served myself.

"Would you like us to talk to him?" Mew offered, but I declined. "By the way, about the girl with the car earlier. Was she the same one you mentioned yesterday?"

"Yeah, her name's Becky," I replied with a bitter smile, starting my meal.

Mile furrowed his brow. "Becky? Becky Armstrong?"

"How do you know her?" Mew inquired, playfully nudging Mile. "You didn't have a crush on her, did you, sly fox?"

"Definitely not! She's too young. But she's my type, in a way. Still, I wouldn't date her. She's just cool. I used to see her at the restaurant where I worked. Always on her own, so I struck up a conversation. She's kind and... you know, adorable," Mile reminisced, his eyes disappearing in a smile.

I grimaced inwardly. Was Becky truly adorable, or was she just erratic? She had been more of a nuisance, constantly getting on my nerves. If it weren't for pity, I wouldn't have spent any time with her.

"She is kind," Mew nodded, glancing at me. "She even gifted me a car for driving her home."

My eyes widened. "You accepted a car from her?" I scoffed. How would I avoid Becky after this? We'd be indebted to her after this tutoring session.

"Don't worry, Freen," Mew reassured, patting my shoulder. "First, go apologize to Bright. It's strange seeing you two not talking."

After dinner, I headed straight to Bright's room, still pondering why Mew had accepted a car from Becky. He wasn't one to accept lavish gifts without reciprocating. Had he promised Becky I'd do something in return?

Shaking my head, I approached Bright, who was supposedly studying. Uncharacteristically, his door was open. Was he waiting for me?

I embraced him from behind, feeling the warmth of family after our recent discord.

"What are you doing?" he asked coolly.

"I miss you," I confessed, releasing a sigh. "I'm sorry, bro. It's my fault. I shouldn't have left the match."

Bright took a deep breath before gently removing my arms and facing me. His eyes held concern as he enveloped me in a tight hug, soothingly stroking my back.

"I'm sorry, baby," he murmured. "I was immature. I shouldn't have been upset just because you were with Becky."

"Are you really that bothered by Becky? Did she do something?" I inquired, still wrapped in his embrace.

"I've heard rumors about her. I just didn't want you getting involved. You have a promising future, and I didn't want Becky to disrupt it like she did with her friends," he explained.

"I understand, bro. But Becky wasn't the one who ruined her friends' lives. They betrayed her. I don't have all the details, but I didn't want you—" I halted when I noticed his glare.

"Are you taking her side?" he questioned, releasing me.

"I'm not. I just want you to consider all perspectives. You're not one to judge without hearing both sides," I reasoned.

Bright sighed and nodded. "Fine. I'll trust you. But please, be careful. Don't let your guard down around her."

"I want you to meet her too, bro," I said, smiling sadly. "Once you do, I think you'll change your opinion." Becky wasn't what people made her out to be. She wasn't a heartbreaker; she was someone craving affection, I was sure of it.

"I won't like her, Freen," he admitted, licking his lips and averting his gaze. "But I'll be civil, especially when she's with you."

"Thanks," I murmured, hugging him again. "Dinner's downstairs. Don't let those abs go to waste." I teased before leaving his room.

His chuckle echoed behind me. Finally, I was free to see Becky without obstacles. But did I truly want to spend time with her? Why was I so conflicted? This didn't feel right.

As I made my way downstairs after reconciling with Bright, I couldn't shake off the unease I felt about Becky. Why was I suddenly conflicted about spending time with her? Was it empathy or something else entirely?

At the dinner table, I found myself lost in thought, absentmindedly pushing food around my plate. Mew and Mile exchanged glances, noticing my preoccupation.

"Is everything alright, Freen?" Mew asked, concern evident in his voice. "You just ate a while ago. And now you're eating again?"

I sighed and looked up at them. "Yeah, I'm just... thinking about something."

"You seem bothered," Mile chimed in. "I bet it's not about Bright and the match. Is it about Becky?"

I nodded reluctantly. "Yeah, partially. I just can't shake off this feeling of... I don't know, uncertainty."

Mew leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. "What's bothering you specifically?"

"It's just... I don't understand why she's so insistent on spending time with me," I confessed. "And now, with Mew accepting a car from her... It's like she's trying to buy our friendship or something."

Mile furrowed his brows. "That does seem odd. But maybe she just wants genuine connections. She did seem lonely, from what you've said."

"Yeah, but... I can't shake off this feeling that there's more to it," I admitted, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders as I voiced my concerns.

Mew sighed and reached out to squeeze my hand. "Whatever it is, just be cautious, alright? We're here for you if you need anything."

I managed a small smile, grateful for their support. "Thanks, guys. I appreciate it."

After dinner, I retreated to my room, my mind still buzzing with thoughts about Becky and her intentions. Despite my reservations, I couldn't deny the nagging curiosity gnawing at me.