Chapter Seventeen: What's The Moon Without Its Light?

"What defines a good person?

Their goal in life?

What they did in their lifetime?

Who they interacted with?

This question has stuck with me ever since the 10 years of peace began, and I was often alone with my thoughts in our apartment. Anybody can define a good person by saying, it's what they achieved in their life. I have achieved many things a normal human could not, like being raised from the dead... and becoming a god without being a god. It's strange, my life is constantly changing. I haven't had a moment of peace ever since that celebration so long ago, and now I'm in an entirely different world.

Then there's the other thing that bothers me, I mourned the deaths of my family... and they're all dead. But they're here, in this world. Are the people of this world truly my family, or am I seeking to replace them with partial parallels of them? I can't decide, and now I don't know if it's worth it to save Vee. What do I do?"

I was sitting in my car, an imaginary William sitting in my passenger seat with his feet on the dash. He smirked, there was quite the ego on this one. We were driving over to the 26th when I suddenly became overwhelmed, surprisingly William had helped me pull over and calm me down. Today was the day I get Vee back, and it's another step closer to peace in my time. The plan was talked about yesterday, but some things have changed. When I locate Vee, I'll be teleported back to my car and then start the second half of the operation. Fred, Nico, Kibo, and Hawkins are parked close by in a long tunnel eventually leading to the 21st. When i give the signal, we'll engage in a car chase that'll last quite a bit. Whether we outrun the 26th, or they take a hit in the tunnels. I got back on the road, William finally giving me an answer.

"A good person is defined on who they strive to be, a good person can make terrible decisions for the greater good. You've killed hundreds, but was praised as the hero of Erun. You're not a good person, nor are you a bad one. I suppose, there is no good or bad in this life Dan."

"I've gotten used to hearing Dove."

"You're straying from your true self."

I scoffed, the drive continued. He's right, but I won't admit it.

"So how much do you know about your Vee friend?"

I tapped the steering wheel with my fingers a bit, trying to think I looked a bit down and eased in my chair. Yesterday, I only noticed I was still wearing that paper gown from William's facility when it ripped a bit and Hawkins body blocked so nobody would peek. Luckily now, I'm wearing my usual black outfit. This time, there was more skin showing near my thighs and shoulders for more breathing room. I got back to Williams question, answering with not a lot of hope.

"He's uhm... he's apparently a killer, so nothings really changed. In my old world, he was a Neko... but I didn't see any ears on him the last time I saw him, then again Kibo can hide their subhuman features so maybe that's default for people like them."

"You're gonna regret bringing him along."

"Whys that?"

"You'll find out pretty soon I think, heads up Dan."

William faded away, now back in my head. Ever since Willam entered my mind, the voice that warned me of any danger and often spoke to me was silent. I had believed that William was that voice, but he said he's never directly spoken to me before I fell into that tunnel. Which means... there's someone else in my head, wonderful isn't it? We parked the car close to the entrance to the 26th, a grant set of double doors with lots of guards patrolling a parking lot with cement pillars stretching far up to the roof. I walked up, no weapon in sight. As I got closer, the guards recognized me, as they should, and now spoke into their radios.