✯ T h i r t y ✯

Demons of the Punjab (Part Two)
2018

Sorry again for the delay! Uni has been busy AS these last four weeks but it has been SO MUCH FUN! Words cannot describe just how fun it is to live on campus and the people I've met and live with are just delightful :))) Also: we've had a book cover change into something a bit more to my liking!

---------------------------------------------------------------

It had been hours before the Doctor finally appeared once more. It had taken a lot of convincing from the other companions for Charlotte to sit and wait with them in the same spot where they lost the Time Lady. She didn't have much faith at all that she would return in one piece, but she was thanking God that she did.

"Doctor!" she cried out, lurching forward and falling into the Doctor's ready and waiting arms.

"Where have you been?" Yasmin demanded. "You've been gone hours."

"The Thijarians, they told me everything. I know what happened, and I know what's going to happen," the Doctor breathed out, more shocked than anything else.

"I want to know what happens," Yasmin said just as Charlotte pulled away from the Doctor's embrace.

"Prem dies today," the woman answered after a long silence. Another silence followed after her words were heard.

"Oh," Charlotte whispered. "I see. Everything...makes sense now."

"We can't let that happen," Yasmin said, her voice becoming choked up as tears gathered in her eyes.

"It has to," the Doctor urged. "For Umbreen to become your Nani, for you to exist, Prem has to die."

"You mean, the Thijarians have come to kill Prem?" Ryan asked for more clarification, sounding just as defeated as Yasmin looked.

"That's not why they're here. They're not assassins. They honour those who die alone."

"Aliens with compassion," Graham sighed.

"Aliens have compassion, Graham," Charlotte scolded. She tried to sound harsh, but not even she could muster much emotional strength. Prem seemed like such a sweet and generous man. It was no wonder Umbreen didn't want to speak about him--it would've been far too much to lose a man like him.

Charlotte understood as much as she possibly could, for the thought of losing the Doctor was a reality she did not long to witness.

"Umbreen loses her husband on the day she marries. Of course, she never wants to talk about it," Yasmin breathed out.

"I'm sorry, Yas. We should leave," the Doctor replied.

"No. I want to be sure she's safe, whatever happens. I want to look after my Nani."

"I'm with Yas," Ryan added.

"Yeah, me, too," Graham agreed.

"This is the last thing we're doing," Charlotte said sternly. "I'm in."

"We can't tell them what we know," the Doctor warned.

***