The unfulfilled promise

Saudamini POV -

It was nothing less than a festival. After 7 excruciatingly painful days, Kunwarisa was finally awake. She had gained consciousness. It was almost midnight when she regained consciousness, but everyone felt light at the end of the tunnel in the darkest of the nights. Her parents, her siblings, everyone surrounded her tearfully, to talk to her....but her eyes were only on me, looking at me.....taking me in eagerly.... longingly. For me.... Everything around had come to a halt, just her ..... That's what mattered to me....I longed for her to look at me...and it was happening.... finally.

Everyone stayed in the room for a long time, telling her how they had missed her.... expressed their love. That's when it hit me. I hadn't done that yet. I vowed to do it as soon as possible. The possibility of her not knowing it....and something happening to get were scary. As time passed, it was almost morning. For someone who had been injured by an Agnibaan, and had been unconscious for almost a week, she was awake the whole time, listening to her family members.....talking very little....raspily owing to the dry throat... I saw the happiness on their faces...which had been lost for the past week....Tara was true when she referred Kunwarisa as everyone's favourite. Her regain of consciousness was a wave of fresh air for everyone. I stood there, taking in the love this royal family had for one another.

Finally Vaidya ji came in and the family let him check on Kunwarisa. After a while he said

Ranaji, mahakal ki kripa se Kunwarisa ko hosh aagaya. Kinthu inke shareer mein abhi bhi vish hai, par chinta ki koi baat nahi, abhi abhi sandesh aaya hai ki mera bheja hua dal Aaj ratri ya kal pratahkal aayenge, tab Inka upchaar aur acche se hoga, Rana ji breathed a sigh of relief.

He turned to me and walked towards me, I was suddenly self conscious and nervous.

Mahakal ki kripa aur Rajkumari Saudamini ke Karan hamari Simha theek Hui hai, agar ye na hoti... Toh na jaane kya hota, he said with a hoarse voice, caressing my head lovingly. He looked at me with such a fatherly expression, it melted my heart.

Ranaji, please don't say like that. I did what anyone would have done in my place, and more than me, the doctors who kept close watch on Kunwarisa are the real heroes. They kept her health from deteriorating. And what better than I could be of some help to Kunwarisa, I said glancing at her. She smiled weakly and I looked back at Ranaji.

Ranaji is right, Saudamini. We can never forget what you've done for us. We will be thankful to you eternally, Ranisa said gently touching my cheek. I smiled at her sweet gesture.

Ranisa....I was about to respond to her but Ranaji cut in. Don't stop us, Saudamini. If our Simha is alive, it's because of your quick thinking. I smiled timidly. They were praising me so much, I was getting embarassed.

Rajaji, aapki beti ke anant upkar hai hamare parivar ke upar, Ranaji addressed my father with folded hands. My father was so overwhelmed, he just bowed reverentially.

Ranaji, Ranisa....Raj Guruji addressed them.

Aap sab snan kar lijiye aur mandir mein aayiye. Hamari Kunwarisa ko hosh aaya hai, toh mahakal ka abhaar manna avashyak hai. Ranisa, Mahamrityunjay havan ko purnahuti dekar, usee sampanna kijiye. He advised. Ranaji agreed to him and looked at Ranisa, who nodded in agreement.

Ji Raj Guruji. Aap sab snan karke mandir mein aayiye, he ordered to everyone in the room, they nodded. Slowly, the ministers and soldiers bowed down and left, leaving only family members.

Ranisa slowly neared Kunwarisa's bed and gently caressed her forehead. Simha, we'll be right back. Take care, she said kissing her forehead. Kunwarisa smiled weakly at her mother and nodded.