Birds Of A Feather

Arianna

The room was dimly lit, and the warmth from our lovemaking still lingered in the air. Travis had just stepped into the shower, and I could hear the water running, a soothing backdrop to my swirling thoughts. Tonight, he had told me he loved me for the first time. My heart had swelled with emotion, but when the moment came for me to say it back, the words caught in my throat.

I'd never said "I love you" to anyone who wasn't family. The thought of giving someone that kind of power over me was terrifying. I didn't know if I could handle losing him again, not after everything we'd been through.

I slipped out of bed quietly, pulling on a robe as I made my way downstairs to my music studio. The familiar surroundings brought a sense of calm. I sat at the piano, letting my fingers glide over the keys, finding a melody. As I played, the first words came to me, raw and unfiltered.

"I want you to stay
Till I'm in the grave
Till I rot away, dead and buried
Till I'm in the casket you carry"

The notes flowed from my fingers, and I sang the words that had been locked inside me. The music was my safe space, where I could express what I struggled to say out loud.

"If you go, I'm goin' too
'Cause it was always you
And if I'm turnin' blue, please don't save me
Nothin' left to lose without my baby"

The melody grew richer, more complex, as I poured my heart into the song. Each note was a piece of my soul, each word a fragment of my deepest fears and desires.

"Birds of a feather
We should stick together, I know
I said I'd never
Think I wasn't better alone
Can't change the weather
Might not be forever
But if it's forever, it's even better"

Tears welled in my eyes as I sang, my voice wavering with emotion. I didn't know what I was crying for—fear, love, the overwhelming weight of it all. But the music carried me through, giving me a way to channel my feelings.

"And I don't know what I'm cryin' for
I don't think I could love you more
It might not be long, but, baby, I
I'll love you till the day that I die
Till the day that I die
Till the light leaves my eyes
Till the day that I die"

The song felt like a lifeline, something to hold onto as I navigated the tumultuous sea of my emotions. I continued to play, letting the music guide me.

"I want you to see
How you look to me
You wouldn't believe if I told ya
You would keep the compliments I throw ya"

A small smile touched my lips as I thought of Travis, how he never seemed to see himself the way I did. The song became a conversation with him, a way to say what I couldn't bring myself to voice.

"But you're so full of shit
Tell me it's a bit (oh, oh)
Say you don't see it, your mind's polluted
Say you wanna quit, don't be stupid"

My fingers danced over the keys, the melody building to a crescendo. I sang with all the passion and vulnerability I felt, letting the music carry my heartache and hope.

"And I don't know what I'm cryin' for
I don't think I could love you more
It might not be long, but, baby, I
Don't wanna say goodbye"

The song shifted, becoming a declaration of my love and my fears.

"Birds of a feather
We should stick together, I know (till the day that I die)
I said I'd never
Think I wasn't better alone (till the light leaves my eyes)
Can't change the weather
Might not be forever (till the day I die)
But if it's forever, it's even better"

The final verse came to me, a promise and a plea.

"I knew you in another life
You had that same look in your eyes
I love you, don't act so surprised"

As the last notes faded, I felt a sense of catharsis. I quickly wrote down the lyrics, capturing the raw emotion before it could slip away. I might not be able to say "I love you" to Travis in person yet, but I could say it through this song.

I tucked the lyrics away, feeling a bit lighter. The song was my way of telling him everything I felt, everything I was afraid to say out loud. For now, it was enough.

Quietly, I made my way back upstairs. Travis was in bed watching something.

"Everything okay?" he asked, his voice soft.

"Yeah," I said, managing a small smile. "I just needed to work on lyrics."

He nodded, pulling me into his arms. "I love you, Ari."

I rested my head against his chest, feeling the steady beat of his heart. "I know," I whispered, my own heart full of unspoken words. "Thank you for being patient with me."

"Always," he said, kissing the top of my head.

We climbed into bed, his arms wrapping around me protectively. As I drifted off to sleep, I felt a sense of peace. We had a long way to go, but we were on this journey together. And that was all that mattered.

Author's note
My fav song off Billie's new album is birds of a feather it's so good.