6

The night was still, the air thick with the hush of secrecy as y/n and Draco made their way back to the Slytherin dormitories. But as they turned a corner, their eyes caught sight of a familiar trio sneaking through the shadows. Draco's sharp intake of breath betrayed his immediate suspicion, his lips curling into a sneer. "I told you that cousin of yours and his little friends are up to something," he muttered to y/n, his voice laced with disdain.

Without waiting for a response, Draco surged forward, his footsteps echoing in the quiet night as he hastened to follow the golden trio. Y/n hurried to keep pace with him, her heart pounding with a mix of curiosity and trepidation.

They tracked the trio through the moonlit grounds, their footsteps muffled by the soft earth beneath their feet. Eventually, they arrived at the dimly lit glow emanating from Hagrid's cottage. Through the window, y/n and Draco observed the trio engaged in an intense discussion, their voices low and urgent.

As Harry's eyes met theirs, his shout pierced the night air like a gunshot. "Malfoy! Grants! They're spying on us!" he accused, his tone accusatory.

Caught in the act, y/n's heart sank, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. "I... I'm sorry," she stammered, her voice faltering as she struggled to find the right words. "We were just... curious."

Draco, however, showed no signs of contrition. His gaze was steely, his expression unapologetic as he squared his shoulders and met Harry's accusatory glare head-on. "I wanted to catch you red-handed, Potter," he retorted, his voice dripping with disdain.

Hermione's voice, a whisper in the night, cut through the tension like a knife. "I told you the spoilt rich girl can't be trusted," she muttered to Harry, her tone filled with vindication.

Y/n's heart sank further at Hermione's words, the weight of their judgment heavy on her shoulders. But even as she felt the sting of their distrust, she couldn't shake the feeling of unease gnawing at her gut. What were they hiding? And why did it feel like the answers lay just beyond their reach?

Professor McGonagall's office felt imposing as the five of them entered, the air heavy with the weight of their transgression. Y/n couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt as she glanced at the portraits lining the walls, their stern eyes seeming to judge them silently.

McGonagall, her expression grave, fixed them with a stern gaze as they stood before her desk. "Explain yourselves," she demanded, her voice cutting through the tense silence.

Harry, his jaw set in defiance, spoke up first. "We were just... exploring," he offered, though his tone lacked conviction.

Draco, never one to mince words, jumped in. "They were plotting something, Professor," he declared, his eyes narrowing as he shot a pointed look at Harry and his friends.

Hermione bristled at the accusation. "That's not true!" she protested, her voice tinged with indignation.

But McGonagall, unmoved by their protests, shook her head. "Regardless of your intentions, wandering the grounds after curfew is a serious offense," she admonished, her tone leaving no room for argument.

With a resigned sigh, McGonagall reached for a quill, dipping it in ink as she prepared to dole out their punishment. "I'll be deducting fifty points from each of your houses," she announced, her voice firm.

Y/n winced at the severity of the punishment, knowing full well the impact it would have on Slytherin's standing in the house cup. But there was no room for protest as McGonagall continued. "And as for detention," she continued, "you will serve it with Hagrid this Saturday evening."

Harry and his friends exchanged glances, the weight of their punishment settling heavily upon them. Y/n felt a pang of sympathy for them, knowing that they would be enduring the same fate she and Draco now faced.