Chapter Seventy-Four

When Rhaena opened her eyes, Daemion was standing by the window, naked, leaning his head to his arm as he watched the moon.

This had become his routine for the last seven months now...

He would smile, kiss her lips and love her through the night, but yet she could see beyond the facade he put on.

The only time she could feel him with her was when the two made love, but then she could see whatever weighed heavy in his mind would take over, and his beautiful face would darken.

She knew that look. She knew behind that look and his deep violet eyes were a pain. A pain that he refused to share with anyone. Not even her. Whatever he had seen, done or heard when he left the castle to take care of the disturbance in the village had haunted him ever since...

As if her Daemion was left behind and his shell had returned to her.

She had hoped that whatever it was would fade away with time, but it only had worsened. Daemion began with sleeping less, less eating and at last drinking wine more and losing weight...

It had gone for too long. Far too long.

Just like their grandfather, Aegon the Conqueror, Daemion was an enigma, a solitary man... A man who would destroy himself and then everyone around him before he speaks of what is haunting him... Far too alike their grandfather...

"Daemion." Rhaena called him softly as she gently sat up on the bed as her eyes were on Daemion's long raven hair that fell behind his shoulders.

Daemion calmly turned around and looked at Rhaena. His eyes were painted with execution yet Rhaena could see how restless he was, but he smiled as he always did.

"Did I wake you up, my love?" Daemion asked calmly as his tried deep violet eyes were fixed on Rhaena with a smile, but the smile never had fooled Rhaena, it will not fool her tonight.

"No. But I would want to hold you as we are sleeping." Rhaena answered.

"I'm not tired yet. I am sorry." Daemion answered as he turned his beautiful face toward the window and once more looked outside. "I was just thinking about the new shipment of supplies that will arrive tomorrow by the port."

Rhaena did not believe him.

"Daemion. What's happened to you?" Rhaena asked bluntly as she slowly got off the bed as she placed a hand on her swollen belly and her back ached from the weight she carried, as she walked toward Daemion. "I have given you many chances to speak of what is on your mind many times, but yet you refuse not only to talk but even acknowledge that you have not been the same man as the man who left Castle that day."

Daemion did not answer.

"Daemion. Speak to me." Rhaena said calmly.

"I told you." Daemion said calmly and uncharacteristically sharp tone as he kept looking outside of the window. "Leave it at that."

Rhaena not only believed him but also felt the sting of worry and frustration. She had allowed Daemion to hide himself in the shell for too long. She had to break him out, by force if necessary.

"I don't care what you want. I want to know what has gotten into you." Rhaena demanded as she walked behind him but stood a few steps away from Daemion.

"I said leave it alone, Rhaena." Daemion answered sharply as he turned his beautiful face, which had darkened with an anger that had rotten in his heart.

"You do not sleep, eat or drink, unless it is wine, Daemion. When you are inside me is the only time I can feel your thoughts and mind that you share with me. But after our lovemaking, you fall back into whatever hole it is that you are torturing yourself with." Rhaena said harshly as her pale-lilac eyes darkened. "And don't talk to me like that."