Chapter Fifty-Three

Jaehaerys looked at the small council table, with only his grandfather sitting by the other end of it. Days had passed since his beloved Alysanne had departed for Golden City.

Ever since Uncle Maegor's body had been cremated, Dowager Queen Visenya had chosen silence as her tongue and a cold face for her face, spending the past few days either ordering soldiers to scout the city or sit by Maegor's created body, in the bedchamber of the King, as she held a letter, sealed with the Hand of the King's seal on it.

Jaehaerys rubbed his eyes as he looked at his grandfather, Aethan Velaryon. "How are my nieces?" Jaehaerys asked calmly.

"Ever since they heard of Prin– King Maegor's demise they both have become saddened and spend their days with their nurse." Aethan Velaryon spoke as he looked at his grandson, as he could for the first time see that his open-hearted and courageous grandson was deep in his thoughts. "What is on your mind, Jaehaerys?"

Jaehaerys brought his attention back to his grandfather and spoke. "I am thinking of the future. After this civil war. Of what will come after."

Aethan calmly nodded. "I am glad you are thinking of the future already, my boy. But for now, everyone is looking at you as the only remaining son of King Aenys, as their leader, and perhaps even their next King." Aethan spoke and his tone became calmer.

"Now is not the time to speak of the Iron Throne. There will be time after we finish this war." Jaehaerys spoke dismissively as he frowned. "For now nothing matters but getting Rhaena back."

A frown that froze Aethan's blood in his veins, but yet he was impressed by Jaehaerys's strength of character. No wonder Alyssa believes Jaehaerys to be the best of her boys... The boy has the seed of a King. Aethan thought to himself. "Alright then."

Jaehaerys stood up and walked to the window behind his sit and looked down upon the ashes of once Sept of Remembrance. The ashes still were warm and burned as if they were still on fire.

A scream was heard.

"What was that?" Aethan asked confused.

Jaehaerys looked at the far distance, he heard another scream... Or was it a roar?

"Was that Vermithor?" Aethan asked as he stood up as he heard the sound.

Jaehaerys knew it was not Vermithor. "It cannot be. Vermithor is inside of Dragonpit. He is nowhere far–" Jaehaerys's words left his mind as the Red Keep was covered in a black shadow... And that large shadow covered Kingsladning.

It could not be Balaerion... Balerion is far away... He flew away after uncle's death, it cannot be him... or can it?! Jaehaerys thought to himself.

Jaehaerys raised his head and looked at the sky, to see the reason behind this shadow... And he saw the largest monster, coloured in Scarlet and Black in the sky, only smaller compared to Balerion and Vhagar.

Modread.

"Daemion..." Jaehaerys spoke as a slight smile appeared on his face and waited for Daemion to land his beast, Modread, but the dragon never came too close to the ground, as he roared and flew over Kingslanding, carrying his large shadow across the capital, as he flew toward West.

West.

Jaehaerys calmly blinked and spoke without turning to look at his grandfather's shocked face, and spoke. "He is going to the west. To Oldtown." Jaehaerys spoke and continued as he looked at his grandfather.

"He is going to Rhaena."

___________

Ser Walder scouted and looked at the massive walls that surrounded Oldtown. Walls that had never fallen to any army but the dragons of Aegon the Conqurprr