137

Back to work
>>>>———— ♥️ ————<<<<

Neha woke up early to find Siddharth sleeping, his arms wrapped around her. She gently brushed his hair back, smiling affectionately before carefully climbing out of bed and heading to the shower. When she emerged, to her surprise, Siddharth was no longer there.

Quickly dressing, Neha hurried downstairs, her mind buzzing with curiosity. As she reached the kitchen, she found Siddharth preparing breakfast, the comforting aroma filling the room. She approached him, still wiping her hair with a towel, and watched him for a moment, appreciating his efforts.

Neha knew how much Siddharth was doing for her. She recognized that his actions were driven not only by love and concern but also by a deep sense of guilt. Over the past 2 months, he had canceled every work-related commitment to stay close to her, offering unwavering support despite his own struggles. His dedication was touching, but it also weighed heavily on her heart.

She couldn't bring herself to even question his decision, even though she knew it was affecting his well-being. Neha felt like she was in no position to object, consumed by her own grief and guilt. She appreciated his efforts more than words could express, but the burden of knowing he was sacrificing so much for her made it even harder to find solace. 

Neha walked into the kitchen, and Siddharth looked up. The couple shared a glance and a smile before they turned back to their respective tasks. Siddharth continued preparing dosa while Neha started washing the dishes. 

This was literally how their lives had been going ever since the parents left. Siddharth and Neha worked together in a matched rhythm, taking care of each other as if everything were normal. On the surface, it appeared as though they had settled into a routine, finding solace in their daily tasks. But deep down, they both knew it was far from normal; a silent acknowledgment of the lingering pain that neither could fully escape.

They silently ate breakfast once Neha returned after feeding Kattupoochi. The quiet moments between them were filled with unspoken words and lingering emotions, a fragile peace that both clung to. Neha's eyes occasionally flicked towards Siddharth, while Siddharth focused on his plate, lost in his thoughts. 

She cleared her throat,

Nee yen ippo racing'lam poradhu illa?

( Why have you not been attending races nowadays?)

Siddharth snapped out of his thoughts and looked up at Neha, who was waiting for his response. He smiled warmly at her,

Adha pathi dhan yosichitu irundhen, innailerndhu neeyum work'ku poiruvae. Enaku thaniya irundha paithiyame pudhichirum, adhunala innailerndhu practice continue panlamnu iruken

( I was just thinking about it, you will be going back to work and I'll go mad if I stay alone. So I think I should get going too)

Neha sighed in relief as she nodded and continued to eat in silence.

>>>>———— ♥️ ————<<<<

Before leaving, Neha stopped before hopping down the car and turned back. She cupped Siddharth's face with utmost affection, her eyes reflecting the protectiveness she felt for him. In that moment, her heart swelled with gratitude for everything he was doing for her.

Bathrama poituva

( Be careful okay?)

Siddharth smiled and nodded at Neha, who was striving to be so strong for him. He held her hands gently, feeling the warmth and strength in her grip. As a gesture of love and gratitude, he brought her hand to his lips. He kissed her inner palm tenderly, conveying his deep appreciation without words.

Nee bathrama poituva, enaku call pannu

( You be careful, call me)

Neha nodded, feeling much better and encouraged after Siddharth kissed her forehead. She turned to leave, and Siddharth watched as she got out of the car and closed the door behind her. They exchanged a brief wave before she entered the building. Siddharth waited a moment, smiling to himself, hoping she would have a good day ahead, for he knew that she had taken such a strong decision to be back at work so soon.

>>>>———— ♥️ ————<<<<

Regina hesitated, trailing behind Neha as they made their rounds and checked on all the patients. It wasn't until they stepped out of one of the wards that Regina gathered the courage to finally voice her question.

Doctor?

Neha turned around with a hum,

Sollunga sister

( Yes sister)

Neenga yen ivlo seekiram thirupi vandhinga?

( Why did you come back so soon?)

Neha frowned at Regina's question,

Seri agiten , vandhuten.

( I have recovered, so I came back)

Neha stated as a matter of fact,

Adhukunu illa adhu-

( Not that, it's just-)

Yen na kadhaisi varaikum varamattenu nenachingala?

(Why did you think that I would never come back?)

Neha jokingly asked however Regina shook her head,

Na physically heal aguradha pathi mattum solala, mentally neenga heal ag-

( I'm not just talking about you healing physically, you should also mentally heal-)

Regina stopped talking when her gaze lifted to find Neha frozen in her steps, a wistful smile playing on her lips as she stared into the distance. Curious, Regina followed Neha's line of sight and discovered that they were standing in front of the kids' ward

Neha's longing gaze fixated on the children inside the ward, their playful laughter echoing in her ears. A heart-wrenching smile tugged at her lips, a mix of joy and sadness swirling in her eyes as she watched them from afar.

Feeling a sense of empathy, Regina gently placed her hand on Neha's shoulder, grounding her in the present moment. Neha snapped out of her reverie, turning to face Regina,

Sorry sister, yennamo sollitu irundhinga?

( Sorry sister, you were saying something?)

Regina smiled shaking her head,

Onnu illa doctor, vanga polam

( Nothing doctor, let's go)

Neha's initial frown softened as she realized that it was for the better. They resumed their work from that point onward, though a lingering sense of concern weighed heavily in Regina's heart for her dear friend.

>>>>———— ♥️ ————<<<<

A short filler chapter, I'm sorry if its too bad.
I can assure there wont be much draggy chaps from the next one🙏

Thank you