Chapter 51 - CUSHION

A.N

Hiii babies !! How are you feeling today ?

I have a pretty important question, do you like reading the drama or should I cut it short ? Because I could continue with what I have in mind but It's going to last for a few more chapters, so if you don't like that please tell me ?!

Thank you so much for keeping up with this story, I mean you've been supporting my unbearable self for more than 50 chapters now and it's crazy ! At least I'm going crazy about it ! so thank you thank you thank you

Anyway, see you at the end,

Bye, M

-----------

... NOVEMBER ...

Maxine's POV

I've been in the hospital for almost a week now, and the days have started to blur together. The nurses come and go, checking my vitals and administering medication, while my family and Renee take turns keeping me company. She said some of my friends wanted to come too, but I still have trouble remembering everything, and I'm really tired, so I said no for now. I'm doing better—I mean, my body feels a little stronger even if I still can't walk due to all the broken bones in my body.

The doctors say I'm making progress but deep down I know that they are worried about my memory not coming back. I sometimes have flashes when my parents or Renee show me pictures but it's really unclear.

I try to be nice to everyone, to keep a positive outlook, but this situation is so overwhelming. One moment, I'm eager to learn about my life, to reconnect with the person I used to be, and the next, it all feels like stories about someone else. It's like I'm living in someone else's memories, and it's exhausting.

Renee has been an angel through all of this. I can see the worry in her eyes, the strain of holding everything together, yet she never falters. She's patient, understanding, always ready with a reassuring smile or a comforting word. She's been coming everyday to see me. I can't imagine how hard this must be for her.

The police have been in and out as well, asking questions about the accident, about the stalker. I wish I could help more.

Renee's POV

I needed some air. The hospital walls were closing in on me, the beeping machines and sterile smells suffocating my thoughts. Max was doing better physically, but mentally she was still lost in a fog. I've been trying to trigger her memory with pictures and stories but nothing. I also tried to make her see some of her friends but she said she was too tired or not ready. She facetime with Maddy, Noah and Lola though. At least she remembers them.

Her family left yesterday. They had to go back to france. I left the hospital on day 4 but still go for check up and to see max everyday.

The doctors were cautiously optimistic, but I could see the worry etched in their eyes. They didn't say it, but I knew they were concerned that her memories might never fully return.

I decided to take a walk near my house, hoping the fresh air and open sky would clear my mind. The november air was cold

I tried to lose myself in the tranquility of the moment, but my thoughts kept drifting back to Max and the unanswered questions surrounding the accident. The police had been investigating, but they were hitting dead ends. Whoever was behind the crash seemed to have vanished without a trace. They asked me if I wanted to take a look at the videos but I refused, not wanting to see Maxine fly away from the car.