21

When I came back to the office because Rosie asked me to, saying that my book had completed the printing process, I knew what would be my task.

Signing the pre-order copies.

I was aware of it, I'd done this so many times before but, I did not expect to see them in a large amount. 10 thousand copies were insane!

"You can tell how happy I am, right?" Rosie said as she held the door to my compartment that was now full of unopened boxes. "This is the largest amount you've got so far! I'm not lying, Ivy. I have a good instinct that this book will do good."

A part of me still couldn't believe my eyes. When did Moonlights get so many members? When did people start showing interest in my work? How did they start? What had been the triggering button? How did they find me?

Such a lot of questions, right? However, I knew, the biggest contribution to this achievement was from the team Sangyeon established for me. If anything, they had worked hard. Probably harder than me.

However, this part scared me. It scared me when people started showing interest in me. Their love for me was real, sincere even. Never in a thousand years would I doubt that. Nonetheless, I tended to overthink: when and how they would get disappointed in me.

I did not want that to happen. With anyone - my friends, my family, and even Moonlights, when they started to love me, I'd make sure that they would keep loving me. If they were proud of me, I'd make them even prouder. I would always be better for them.

Not a people pleaser but from my experience, people leaving me for something ridiculous - just like Daisy, somehow leaving a great impact and scar.

"Good morning, Missy," a greeting snapped me back to reality, my head whipped real quick in that direction just to find Sangyeon in that damn white tucked-in shirt again. Trailing behind him unfortunately was Hong Joochan. "I hope you have warmed up to sign all those."

Sangyeon's wide smile had been the distraction for my hatred from kept blooming upon seeing Joochan. And that was a given. I wouldn't have to look at him.

"Are you sure you guys counted it correctly? 10k? Seriously?" My brows furrowed as I asked, and Sangyeon silently giggled.

"Don't doubt Haknyeon's skill. He couldn't even sleep well to keep track of all the incoming orders."

"Wow..." Now, this felt like a dream. I had lost all the words to say.

"By the way..." Sangyeon spoke again, this time he beckoned to Joochan who I never noticed was holding on a small box. "These are the copies for your personal use."

I instantly smiled - not at Joochan but at the content inside. These copies were the free copies I'd get to distribute to my friends and my head instantly recalled Kevin's name. I promised him, didn't I? That he would be the first person who would see this book?

Now, I have a reason to contact him. After all, I had to make up to him for our date incident.

"Congratulations, Ivy..." Joochan broke my trance as he scooted closer to pass the box to me. My face instantly fell at the proximity and the cheeky smile on his face. "Can I get a signed copy as well?"

Unknowingly, I scoffed. What is he doing right now? A signed copy? Since when did he read?

I vividly remember while we were still in a relationship, conflicts started crashing over us one by one which slowly were vanishing my trust in him, I looked for a distraction not to get too stressed about it. And I read. A lot.

He thought I was doing fine in between our every fight, he thought I was never affected because I never brought the conflict to light afterwards and he shamelessly came to me pretending like he never caused problems, asking how was my day. I told him the truth, that I was reading and he instantly laughed, saying something like don't try to be a bookworm.

So, tell me. Should I just forgive this guy so easily when he mocked my every move while we were still dating?

Rosie was quick to take the box from his hands after sensing a small smirk was drawn on my face. For sure, everyone was trying to avoid a ruckus because a while later, Sangyeon dismissed everyone to help out with the boxes in my compartment.

Kevin, are you busy? Got something to show you. I typed the message on my phone while trailing the track into my office, a smile kept hanging on my face.

Surprisingly, I did not have to wait long for the reply. He instantly replied give me 30 minutes, I have a task to submit.

I was about to type another reply when a figure suddenly jumped in my way, blocking me from walking further. My gaze broke from the phone to the demeanour, Hong Joochan never backed off.

"What?" I mouthed, groaning was heard from all corners of this space as they struggled to open the box. So, what was this guy doing? Standing and not moving?

"I want to talk to you," his eyes were hopeful as he looked down into mine. God, why is he persistent?

"You see how I will be so busy in the next few days," I beckoned to all the boxes. "Do you think I will have time to talk?"

That's an excuse.

"I don't mean it now, Ivy," he sighed. "Later, after all this ends. Please, I need to talk to you."

"Depends on the situation," and I walked past him, straightaway to my desk.

The next one hour was me focused on signing and once in a while, I kept glancing at my phone for any sign of a reply from Kevin. He said he just needed 30 minutes so I sent the picture of my book cover to him after half an hour from our last conversation with a short text read the new baby was born!

But, another 30 minutes had passed and he hadn't seen my text yet. I was excited over nothing. However, surprisingly, it did not get to me too much. I had gotten used to his habit and the pain wasn't that big either. Although I was anticipating.

I should've understood him.

"Ivy, can you do for another one box?" Sangyeon asked from a corner, handsomely cupping his hip as he did. "We shall take a rest afterwards."

"I think it's fine..." I assured him. "I can manage."

"Alright," the boss then fished out his phone. "I'll ask Haknyeon to order lunch for all of us."

While he did so, my phone abruptly rang in notifications, and Kevin's name appeared on the screen. He finally replied and I was ecstatic to check.

He spammed 3 messages and I read each of them thoroughly.

Congrats Ivy! The first one read.

I'll find some time to come and collect. Make sure you signed it for me. The second one read.

But, the last one got me speechless. There was an urge of anxiousness crashed over me. I couldn't decipher what was the tone he used when he typed the message.

Hong Joochan did so well designing your cover.