Chuck Catch Up

How You Meet

(The Scorch:Either:Your P.O.V)

I didn't know where I was. Not really. Just that I was alone. I didn't have anybody with me. I didn't have anybody to guide me. Everything I know is gone.

My parents are dead. They were Cranks so I had to get rid of them.

I don't feel good about it. I don't feel upset. I'm not angry. I'm not anything. I'm just numb.

So now I'm traveling through the Scorch, hoping I don't end up dead or having to kill again. Even if they're Cranks, murdering something that was one someone's baby makes my heart ache.

I was someone's baby.

Now I'm alone.

Sighing, I kept on walking through the abandoned mall. I kept the lights off though. If the power has been cut, there must have been a reason for it. A reason that I was not going to find out.

When I passed by another shop filled with now useless items, I heard small whimpers and groans. Reaching for the gun on my belt, I went completely still. Fixating on the sound, I realized that it was mixed with quiet sniffles.

Keeping my steps as light as possible, I slowly peeked into the shop. With my weapon still ready to be drawn, I made my way inside.

As I approached what was once a checkout desk, the whimpers were louder. Holding my breath, I leaned over the counter.

Behind it was something I never imagined I could see. Something that made me sick to my stomach. Something that hit my heart even harder than when I gained blood on my hands.

It was a little boy, no older than eight. He was covered in dirt, and his clothes were essentially rags. His curly, brunette hair was close to being a mop on his head. His chubby cheeks seemed devoid of color as he looked at me with these innocent yet terrified, brown eyes.

"Hey little man,"I said gently. Staring at me, he backed away against the wall. "I'm not gonna hurt you,"I promised, slowly walking around the counter. Tensing up, he looked me up and down. Sitting criss cross, I gave him a small smile. While it was definitely strained and forced since I hadn't done that in months, it was all I had.

"Hi,"He whispered.

"What's your name?"

"Chuck,"He mumbled.

"Nice to meet you, Chuck. I'm Y/N."

Nodding his head, his curls bounced with him at the slight motion.

"I've got some food hidden not too far from here. Would you like some?"I offered.

Giving me a tired smile, he nodded again. Standing up, I held my hand out. Accepting it, he firmly grasped on. Leading him to my messed up version of a home, I walked out of the shop. Holding my hand, he stood so close it was if he was certain I would disappear otherwise.

"Do you have anyone, Chuck?"

Despite the vagueness of my question, he understood perfectly. His expression dropped as he shook his head.

"I don't either,"I admitted. Grasping me a little tighter, he seemed to be trying to silently comfort me. "I mean we do now though. If you want to stay with me?"

"Yes,"He whispered. Ruffling his dirty hair with my free hand, I made an internal note to find some way to clean him up and some new clothes.

I guess I just gained a kid today.

Chuck's my baby now.

Subject Name

SUBJECT A17 THE PROTECTOR