Chapter 54 - Reliving Their Honeymoon

Summary: Mipha and Link decide to deal with the Lizalfos in Naydra's Lair.

It was a sunny day in Zora's Domain, three days after Raypha and Tidon narrowly escaped from Naydra's Lair, a vast, primarily underwater cave below Mount Lanayru. By now, the entire Domain was buzzing with talk of the incident, which seemed to be the only thing on everyone's mind.

"I can't imagine how frightening that must have been for those two," said one shopper as she chatted with her friend in the plaza. "

"But it shows the young prince and princess have the blood of our Champion Lady Mipha in them, as well as the courage of their hero father," said the other.

At the moment, Mipha and Link were on their way to meet with King Dorephan to discuss the incident. As they made their way, Mipha recalled her conversation with Link the day before after the children left for class.

Link had been unusually quiet the last couple of days, acting strangely, and she had caught him dusting off a Royal Bow he kept in a drawer in their room the previous evening. They had just finished cleaning up from breakfast when she decided to address the matter.

"Why were you cleaning your bow yesterday, sweetheart?"

"Oh, my Royal Bow?" said Link, blushing and in a voice so innocent I knew he was guilty. "It holds a lot of sentimental value for me, and I like to keep it in good condition. King Rhoam presented it to me after I won one of the semiannual archery contests. Years later, after we became Champions, Revali teased me about it. 'Is that some sort of participation trophy?' he mocked when he saw me carrying it. 'No, I won it - first place,' I replied. He guffawed, saying I'd be lucky even to finish a Rito archery contest, and to play to his ego, I agreed the Rito were the finest archers in Hyrule. He preened himself at that until I added, 'except at night, of course,' to tease him back. At which he glowered and walked away."

"That's a cute story, sweetheart, but you haven't answered my question. You're not planning on pulling another Lynel move on me, are you?"

"Huh?"

"You know, like when you charged off to Ploymus Mountain without any regard for your safety, and I followed you."

"Wow, that was ages ago! Well, now that you mention it, I was thinking of using a day to eliminate those two monsters while I wasn't otherwise busy," Link replied casually. "The thought of them possibly harming our children makes my blood boil. And besides, dealing with a pair of Lizalfos is easy for me."

"Yes, twenty years ago. But things have changed since then. And didn't we agree to face danger together? To support each other?"

Link hesitated and looked down for a moment before responding. "Yes, but we agreed to that before we had children. It would be ... um, better for them if only one of their parents went."

"So it's child's play for you to go alone, but too risky for both of us to go together?"

"I know that sounds silly, but it's just how I feel," said Link. "And I'm quite steadfast about this. I'm going alone, and don't try to talk me out of it."

"Oh really, sweetheart? What if I told you that you would change your mind in the next five minutes?"

"I'd say you were dreaming, dearest," laughed Link. "And I love you, but you won't seduce me out of this.

*"Would I do that, sweetheart?" *

"You would, and you have - but not this time," said Link.

"Okay, if you're right that it's too risky for both of us, then I should be the one going alone. After all, most of the cave's tunnels are underwater, and I may need to swim after my enemy. So, let me make sure my trident is sharpened and ready for battle. I'll inform Father of my plans, and we can say goodbye."