Anne Sallow | Courage

MALE READER ! 

For @Harmony782606 <3

(Y/N) slithered past the other first-year students with his head hanging downwards and his mind focused on the path ahead. He wasn't often the social type and had no interest in making eye contact with his fellow new students who were desperately trying to make friends by staring at everyone around them. (Y/N) simply wanted to be left alone; that was always the plan, right from when he stepped on the Hogwarts Express.

(Y/N) entered the potions classroom, sped towards a random seat given it was his first class, and set down his books on the chair beside him, stopping anyone from choosing it.

Slowly, others began to enter the classroom and filled the dark underground basement. Many approached (Y/N) hoping to get the seat next to him but turned away quickly upon seeing the books on the chair - a clear message.

(Y/N) was lost in his own world as he stared into the empty space before him before a sudden conflict pulled him from his thoughts. Turning around, (Y/N) spotted a group of girls pointing and laughing at a Slytherin boy who had entered the classroom; now standing at the threshold with books clutched to his chest and a wand held out in his hand. (Y/N)'s brows furrowed with confusion, his eyes darting back and forth from the lone boy and the group of girls. Quickly, (Y/N) deduced that the boy was blind, though he quickly realised that he seemed to be the last person to realise that Hogwarts had a blind student as it had soon become the subject of ridicule for the Slytherin.

(Y/N) let out a huff before standing from his seat with one clear mission on his mind. Standing in front of the Slytherin, he mustered enough friendliness to speak; "Hi, I'm (Y/N). I've got a free seat next to me if you want to take it?" He offered.

The Slytherin was silent for a moment and for a second (Y/N) felt a dawning fear that the Slytherin would not want to sit with him and readied himself to be embarrassed in front of the already mean girls. The worry dispersed quickly.

"Ominis." The Slytherin introduced. "And that would be nice. Thank you."

(Y/N) broke into a relaxed smile and led Ominis to the table he had claimed, removing the books and allowing Ominis to take the seat.

"I don't have the books required for this lesson..." Ominis confessed quietly.

(Y/N) looked at Ominis with a curious look. He had been prepared for weeks. He was always ready.

(Y/N) slipped his wand from his cloak and pressed the tip atop one of the book covers. He muttered a spell under his breath and slid the book towards Ominis. "Here. Use that for now." He offered. He had turned the inked words into braille.

Ominis was taken aback by (Y/N)'s gesture and carefully clasped the book. "Thank you..." He whispered. A beat of silence followed. "You're a Ravenclaw." Ominis pointed out.

(Y/N) cracked a smile. "How could you tell?" He wondered.

"General preparation. The spellcast. A certain apprehension."

(Y/N) hummed. "I see. Well, you're not the stereotypical Slytherin."

Ominis shook his head. "Others will have you believe differently."

(Y/N) pondered the thought. "Why is that?" He questioned.

"Gaunt is my last name." Ominis's words had a tone of guilt in them.

(Y/N) pondered the thought again. "Others may believe what they will but I'll make my own decision." He nodded.

Ominis smiled.