Chapter 4: Memories of Autumn

The crisp morning air nipped at Y/N's cheeks as she jogged along the park path, the sound of Cebrus's paws thudding softly beside her. The first signs of autumn were beginning to show—the leaves shifting from their vibrant greens to shades of amber and gold, fluttering down to the ground in a slow, graceful dance. Autumn had always been her favorite season—the colors, the cool breeze, and of course, the food. There was something comforting about the warmth of homemade pies, roasted vegetables, and steaming mugs of spiced tea.

As she slowed her pace, Cebrus bounded ahead, circling back to sit loyally by her side when she stopped beneath an old oak tree. Y/N panted slightly, hands resting on her knees as she caught her breath, her gaze drawn to the canopy of branches above. The golden leaves shimmered in the early light, reminding her of a time long ago, when the world seemed simpler and her heart lighter.

She could still see it so vividly in her mind—a memory of her childhood, when her mother and father would bring her to this very park every autumn.

---

Flashback:

The air had been cool that day, just like this one, as Y/N ran ahead of her parents, her small hands grasping a bundle of fallen leaves. She could hear her mother's laughter behind her, the sound light and musical as she watched Y/N's excitement. Eline, her mother, was always so full of life during autumn. Her brown curls seemed to blend in with the season's hues, her bright smile never far from her lips.

Her father, Rune, stood beside Eline, a faint smile of his own tugging at the corners of his usually stern face. He wasn't a man of many words, but in these moments—when they were all together as a family—his silence spoke volumes.

"Look, Mama!" Y/N had shouted, holding up the largest leaf she could find. "It's bigger than my head!"

Eline knelt beside her, gently brushing a stray curl from Y/N's face. "It is, sweetheart! You've found the biggest one in the whole park. Maybe we should take it home as a souvenir."

Y/N beamed, proud of her discovery, as Rune placed a hand on her shoulder. "We'll press it into a book, just like we did last year."

The three of them had spent the entire afternoon beneath the trees, Y/N chasing after squirrels while her parents sat on a blanket, drinking coffee from thermoses. The sun had set slowly, casting a golden glow over everything, and in that moment, Y/N had felt completely and utterly safe. The world was perfect—untouched by tragedy or heartache.

---

Y/N blinked, the memory slipping away as reality settled back in around her. The park was quiet now, save for the distant chatter of early risers and the rustle of the leaves. She sighed, a small, lost smile tugging at her lips as she stared at the place where her family once sat together. It had been years since she last visited that particular spot, and though she tried to push the feelings away, the longing remained. She missed them—missed the simplicity, the warmth, and the laughter that once filled her life.

But that was all gone now.

With a quick shake of her head, Y/N stood, brushing the dirt from her pants. "Come on, Cebrus," she said softly. "Let's go home."

Cebrus barked happily, following at her heels as they jogged back through the park. The cold air invigorated her as she picked up the pace, her feet pounding against the pavement until her lungs burned. By the time she reached her apartment, she was out of breath, her muscles aching in that satisfying way that came with a good run.

Once inside, she fed Cebrus and took a quick shower, the steam warming her chilled skin. The apartment was quiet, save for the occasional clinking of Cebrus's food bowl as he ate. Y/N dressed quickly, grabbing her bag and keys before heading out the door. She had just enough time to catch the subway to university.

The streets of New York were already bustling with the early morning crowd. As Y/N descended the stairs into the subway station, she noticed a few familiar faces nodding to her in greeting. They weren't nodding because they knew her personally—most people didn't. They knew her because of Calie. Calie, who was as famous for her sarcasm as she was for her medical studies, had a way of making an impression on everyone she met. People either adored her sharp wit or couldn't stand her blunt arrogance.

Y/N made her way to their usual meeting spot just outside the station, where Calie was already waiting, her arms crossed and a bored expression on her face.

"Took you long enough," Calie said as soon as Y/N approached. "I've been standing here for five whole minutes. Do you know how much time that is in Calie World? An eternity."

Y/N gave her a small smile. "It's five minutes. You'll survive."

Calie snorted as they started walking toward the university together. "Barely. Anyway, French lit today. Are you ready to watch me verbally spar with our oh-so-wonderful professor?"

"I'm ready to study," Y/N replied. "You, on the other hand, are ready to argue."

Calie grinned, not even bothering to deny it. "Well, someone has to keep these professors on their toes. And that someone is me."

By the time they reached the university, the morning classes were already underway. Y/N and Calie slipped into their French literature class just as the professor began his lecture. They took their usual seats—Y/N sitting with perfect posture, attentive and ready to learn, while Calie slouched in her chair, looking like she was already bored out of her mind.

Professor Dupont was a man of precision and strict rules, and it didn't take long for Calie to rub him the wrong way. As he lectured on the importance of the romantic poets, Calie muttered something under her breath.

"What was that, Ms. Calie?" Professor Dupont asked, his brow furrowed in disapproval.

Calie gave him an innocent smile, though the mischief in her eyes was impossible to miss. "Oh, nothing. I just said that I'm sure romantic poets would have loved to know they're still causing people to fall asleep in class centuries later."

The entire room fell silent, several students exchanging wide-eyed looks as the professor's face reddened.

"Ms. Calie, if you have something to say, please do so in a way that contributes to the class discussion."

Calie shrugged, her voice laced with mock sincerity. "Oh, I was just contributing. I mean, personally, I think romantic poets were a bunch of hopeless romantics trying to sound deep while just wanting attention. But hey, that's just me."

Y/N shot her a look, silently urging her to stop before things escalated. But Calie, being Calie, didn't know when to quit.

Professor Dupont's lips thinned as he gripped the edges of his podium. "Ms. Calie, if you find this class so boring, perhaps you'd prefer to spend your time elsewhere."

"Oh, no," Calie replied, smirking. "I wouldn't miss this for the world."

Y/N sighed softly, focusing on her notes while the tension in the room simmered down. It wasn't the first time Calie had pushed the professor's buttons, and it certainly wouldn't be the last.

By the time class ended, Calie was practically bouncing in her seat, clearly pleased with herself. As they gathered their things and left the room, she turned to Y/N with a grin. "Well, that was fun."

"Fun?" Y/N repeated, raising an eyebrow. "You almost got yourself kicked out of class."

Calie waved a hand dismissively. "Nah, Dupont loves me. He just won't admit it."

Y/N gave her a skeptical look, but before she could respond, Calie's stomach growled loudly.

"Okay, fine. Lunch," Calie grumbled. "But it better be good. If the cafeteria is serving that mystery meat again, I'm going to riot."

Y/N couldn't help but smile as they made their way to the cafeteria, listening to Calie complain about everything from the quality of the food to the unfairness of their French literature class. It was just another typical day for the two of them.