Chapter 21: Cafe Encounters

The cafe was unusually quiet for a late afternoon. Y/N wiped down the counter for what felt like the hundredth time, trying to keep herself busy as the minutes dragged on. At one of the tables, Calie sat with her chin resting on her palm, her other hand twirling a spoon in her coffee. As usual, she was still talking about yesterday's encounter with Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson, recounting every little detail for the umpteenth time.

"Can you believe it, Y/N? Like, actually believe it? We met Chris Evans! And Scarlett Johansson? In person?" Calie sighed dreamily, taking a sip from her mug. "I don't think I'll ever recover from that wink."

Y/N, half-listening, smiled and nodded occasionally while wiping down a nearby table. "Mm-hmm. It was something, alright."

"I mean, it's one thing to watch them in movies, but to see them up close? And don't even get me started on Scarlett holding Rose like that," Calie rambled on. "Oh, speaking of—did you know Scarlett was supposed to play Emily in A Quiet Place? I bet she would've been amazing..."

Y/N just nodded again, used to Calie's constant flow of thoughts. But before she could respond, she felt her phone buzz in her apron pocket. Pulling it out, she saw a text from Chris.

Chris:

Hey! I'll be at the café with some of your favorite people soon :)

Y/N's eyes widened slightly, then she let out a small chuckle. She quickly turned to Calie, who was mid-sentence about something unrelated.

"Uh, Calie?" Y/N interrupted, showing her the phone. "Chris just texted me. He's coming here. With Scarlett and Rose."

Calie blinked, her eyes growing wide. "No way. No freaking way! Are you serious? Oh my God, I need to fix myself. I can't—" She shot up from her chair, nearly knocking over her coffee in the process, and hurriedly headed toward the bathroom. "I need to fix my makeup—what if Chris winks at me again?!"

Y/N just shook her head, amused as Calie disappeared into the bathroom. She turned back to the counter, preparing an order for a customer when she heard the familiar ring of the bell above the door.

Looking up, Y/N saw Chris walk in with little Rose in his arms, her chubby hands grabbing at his shirt. Scarlett followed closely behind, looking as radiant as ever, smiling warmly at the few patrons in the café. Y/N handed over the coffee to the customer, watching as the guy gawked at Chris and Scarlett before he worked up the courage to ask Chris for a quick autograph. Chris graciously obliged, his usual charm evident.

After the small interaction, they approached Y/N at the counter. A playful smirk spread across her face as she straightened up and adopted a formal tone, deciding to have a little fun.

"What can I get for you today, Your Highnesses?" Y/N said, bowing slightly in mock reverence. "Would the princess like something as well?"

Chris and Scarlett both burst into laughter, and even Rose giggled as she tugged on his collar.

"Well," Scarlett said, catching on to Y/N's playful tone, "the princess would like a cookie, I believe. Something fit for royalty."

"Ah, excellent choice," Y/N said, her expression still serious. "Only the finest cookie for the finest princess." She turned to Chris and Scarlett. "And for the King and Queen?"

Chris chuckled, shaking his head. "We'll just have two coffees, please. But make them royal-sized."

Y/N grinned, dropping the act. "Coming right up."

Just then, Calie emerged from the bathroom, looking a bit more put together and much calmer. She smiled at the group, walking over to greet them, though the excitement in her eyes was unmistakable.