Chapter 35: Jealousy

Y/N was about to pull the door shut when she heard Scarlett's voice, low and sharp, cut through the air behind her.

"Running off to Carolina, huh?" Scarlett's tone was laced with something—bitterness, maybe even jealousy. Y/N hesitated, her hand gripping the door handle, heart pounding.

Before Y/N could respond, Scarlett continued, her footsteps slow and deliberate as she walked toward her. "You seem to be in such a hurry to get to her. She must be important." Her voice was calmer now, almost teasing, but there was an edge to it that Y/N couldn't quite place.

Y/N turned around, swallowing hard, and met Scarlett's gaze. Scarlett looked different now, almost... hot in her confusion. The way her eyes flickered with emotion, the way her lips pressed into a thin line. There was a fire in her, something raw and unresolved. 

Scarlett closed the gap between them, coming to a stop just inches away. Her finger jabbed lightly into Y/N's chest as she looked up at her, eyes narrowing slightly. "You're always in a rush to get away from me, aren't you?" Scarlett's voice was barely above a whisper now, her eyes searching Y/N's face.

Y/N stood frozen, her heart hammering in her chest. Scarlett was so close, too close, and the weight of her presence was intoxicating. She could feel her breath, see the faintest flicker of something in her eyes—jealousy? Anger? Y/N didn't know, but it set her on edge.

"Well?" Scarlett pressed. "You've got nothing to say? You're off to see her, right?"

Y/N blinked, her thoughts scrambling. "No," she finally managed, her voice low. "I don't— I don't like Carolina like that."

Scarlett raised an eyebrow, her finger still resting on Y/N's chest. "What was that?" she asked, her voice taunting, daring Y/N to repeat it.

Y/N took a breath, her eyes steady on Scarlett's. "I said I don't like Carolina. We're just friends."

Scarlett's expression didn't change immediately, but her eyes darkened slightly, a flicker of something unspoken passing over her features. "Say it again," she demanded, her voice softer, but no less intense.

"I don't like Carolina," Y/N repeated, her heart racing now. "Not like that."

For a long moment, Scarlett just stared at her, her gaze unblinking, her finger still pressed against Y/N's chest like she was trying to hold onto something. Slowly, Scarlett took a step back, letting her hand drop. Her face twisted slightly in confusion as she searched Y/N's face for something—an answer, a truth, Y/N wasn't sure.

"Then who?" Scarlett asked, her voice quieter now, but the jealousy was still there, simmering beneath the surface. "Who do you like, then?"

Y/N's pulse quickened. The words felt heavy on her tongue, but she had already gone this far. "It's..." She hesitated, then took a breath. "It's a woman... with beautiful green eyes."

Scarlett frowned, her confusion deepening as her green eyes flickered with frustration. "What?" she mumbled, almost to herself. Her brows furrowed, and for a moment, she seemed lost in thought. But then, as if dismissing the notion entirely, she shook her head. "You should go, then," she said, her voice colder now. "To that woman. I don't care."

Y/N's eyes widened slightly, and she quickly shook her head. "No, Scarlett... I lied. I didn't have anywhere to go. I just thought... I thought you didn't want me here."

Scarlett's frown deepened, her lips pressing together tightly as she mumbled something under her breath, too quiet for Y/N to hear.

"What?" Y/N asked softly, leaning in just a bit. "What did you say?"

Scarlett ignored her question, instead grabbing Y/N's hand with a surprising firmness. "Come on," she muttered, tugging her toward the living room without another word.

Y/N let herself be pulled, still processing everything that had just happened. Scarlett's hand was warm, her grip strong, and Y/N's mind raced as she tried to piece together what Scarlett was thinking. Before she knew it, Scarlett had pulled her onto the couch, sitting down beside her, their bodies close—closer than Y/N had anticipated.

Chris and Calie were already on the other side of the couch, watching another movie with Rose nestled in Chris's arms, her tiny hands gripping a chip. Cebrus lay sprawled on the floor, his ears twitching as Y/N let go of the leash.

Y/N felt a wave of confusion wash over her. What just happened? One moment, Scarlett had been cold and distant, and now, she was sitting beside her, leaning slightly into Y/N as if nothing had happened. Y/N's mind buzzed, her thoughts tangled in a web of confusion.

She glanced sideways at Scarlett, who was focused on the movie but leaning into Y/N ever so slightly, her shoulder brushing against her arm. Y/N's heart thudded in her chest, and she tried to focus on the screen, but her thoughts were a jumbled mess.

Scarlett was right there, so close, and yet... distant. Cold, but also warm in some way Y/N couldn't describe. What was going on?