Chapter 59: A Quiet Confession

It had been a day since Y/N left the apartment, and the tension between her and Scarlett hung over her like a dark cloud. She had ignored Scarlett's messages, unsure how to respond after their heated conversation. Instead of dealing with her emotions, Y/N buried herself in her studies, sitting at her usual spot in the library with a pile of textbooks and notes in front of her.

But no matter how much she tried to focus on the words, her mind kept drifting back to Scarlett. The memory of their argument, the hurt in Scarlett's voice, and Y/N's own frustrations played in an endless loop in her head. She groaned softly, hitting her head against the table in frustration. 

"Why can't I focus?" she muttered to herself, feeling the weight of her exhaustion.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps approaching her table, and without even looking up, she had a sinking feeling she knew who it was. A familiar presence settled into the seat beside her, and Y/N felt her stomach drop.

Scarlett.

Y/N groaned internally, keeping her eyes glued to her notes, pretending to be absorbed in her work. She wasn't ready for this conversation—she wasn't even sure what to say. 

Scarlett, however, wasn't deterred. She watched Y/N quietly for a moment before finally speaking.

"Y/N..." Scarlett's voice was soft, almost hesitant. "We need to talk."

Y/N's grip on her pen tightened, but she didn't look up. She scribbled something on her notes, though it was clear she wasn't actually working.

Scarlett let out a small sigh before continuing. "I'm sorry about what happened at the party. I didn't mean to flirt with Robert, and I definitely didn't mean to make you feel like... you were just a friend." Her voice cracked slightly at the last word, and Y/N felt her heart squeeze painfully in her chest.

"I've been thinking about it a lot," Scarlett went on. "The truth is... I introduced you as my friend because I was scared. Scared of what people might think, or say, or... how it would look. I shouldn't have done that. You mean so much more to me than just a friend, Y/N."

Y/N's eyes remained on her notes, but she wasn't reading them anymore. She was listening intently to every word Scarlett said, her heart pounding in her chest.

Scarlett took a deep breath and continued. "You mean the world to me... and to Rose. You've become such an important part of our lives, and I didn't realize how much I've been relying on you. How much I need you. I've been so focused on what everyone else might think that I forgot to consider how you might feel."

Y/N swallowed hard, her throat tightening. She still didn't look up, afraid that if she did, she'd crumble right there.

"I'm sorry, Y/N," Scarlett whispered. "For not seeing it sooner. For not realizing how much I care about you—how much you mean to us."

Y/N's hand paused, her pen hovering above the paper. Scarlett's words cut through her like a knife, but at the same time, they warmed something deep inside her. But she couldn't shake the frustration that lingered from the party, the feeling of being ignored and pushed aside.

Scarlett seemed to sense her hesitation, and after a long pause, she spoke again. "I know I hurt you... and I'm truly sorry for that. But I need you to know how much you mean to me. To both of us. You're not just some afterthought or friend, Y/N. You're a part of our family."

The words hung in the air, heavy with emotion. Y/N sat there for a long moment, processing everything Scarlett had said. Finally, she set her pen down and let out a soft sigh.

"I'm sorry, too," Y/N said quietly, still not looking up. Her voice was laced with vulnerability. "I shouldn't have ignored you after the party. I was... jealous. I felt like I didn't belong. You were all talking about things I didn't understand, and I just... felt left out."

Scarlett listened intently, her eyes softening as Y/N continued.

"When I left without saying anything, none of you even noticed," Y/N admitted, her voice cracking slightly. "It hurt. I felt like I was just... invisible. Like I didn't matter."

Scarlett's heart broke at Y/N's words, and she quickly shook her head. "You do matter, Y/N. I'm sorry we made you feel like that. We should've been paying more attention. I should've been paying more attention."

Y/N finally looked up, her eyes filled with unshed tears. "I didn't say anything because I didn't want to cause a scene. I didn't want to ruin your night. But I was hurting, Scarlett. And I'm sorry for not telling you sooner."

Scarlett's heart ached at the sight of Y/N's watery eyes, and she reached out, gently cupping Y/N's face in her hands. "I'm sorry, too," she whispered. "I never want you to feel like you don't matter to me, or to Rose."

They stared at each other for a long moment, the weight of their emotions hanging heavy between them. And then, without another word, Scarlett leaned in, pressing her lips softly against Y/N's.

The kiss was gentle, tender—a quiet confession of all the things they hadn't been able to say. Y/N melted into the kiss, her heart swelling with a mixture of relief and affection. She could feel Scarlett's emotions in the way she kissed her, the way her hands trembled slightly against her skin.

When they finally pulled apart, they were both smiling softly, their foreheads resting against each other.

Scarlett broke the silence first, her voice barely above a whisper. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

Y/N blinked, surprised by the sudden question. "What?"

Scarlett chuckled softly, brushing a strand of hair behind Y/N's ear. "I'm serious. I don't want to just be friends who kiss every now and then. I want us to be together, officially."

Y/N stared at her, still processing what Scarlett had just asked. After a moment, a slow smile spread across her face, and she nodded. "Yes," she whispered. "I'd love to be your girlfriend."

Scarlett's face lit up with joy, and she pulled Y/N into another kiss, this one filled with more laughter and excitement. When they pulled apart again, they were both grinning like idiots.

"I can't believe you just asked me that," Y/N teased, her heart still racing.

Scarlett smirked, leaning in close. "Well, I figured it was about time."

Y/N laughed softly, feeling lighter than she had in days. "I'm glad you did."

They sat there in the quiet corner of the library, their hands intertwined as they shared soft kisses and whispered jokes. It felt like a new beginning, one where they could finally be open with each other, free from the fears and misunderstandings that had clouded their relationship before.