Chapter 18: Brewing Conversations

It was a quiet evening in the café, the warm hum of background chatter mixing with the sound of the espresso machine. Y/N stood behind the counter, working through her usual routine with practiced ease. It was nearly 7 PM, and the crowd had started to thin out as the day shifted toward evening. She wiped down the counter, glancing at the clock, mentally calculating how much longer until her shift ended. Cerberus would be waiting for her at home, and she couldn't wait to unwind after the strange whirlwind her life had become over the past few days.

As she turned to grab another order slip, the bell above the door chimed, signaling a new customer. Y/N instinctively looked up, her eyes landing on none other than Chris Evans. Her stomach did a little flip. He seemed different tonight—tense, as if something weighed on his mind. She could tell by the way his shoulders were hunched and the faint crease between his eyebrows.

Chris approached the counter, offering a small, almost weary smile. "Hey," he greeted, his voice a little softer than usual.

Y/N raised an eyebrow. "Hey, Chris. What brings you here?"

He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, his eyes scanning the menu though she doubted he was really reading it. "Just...needed some coffee. Is there any chance you can take a break? I don't want to keep you from work."

Y/N glanced over her shoulder at Randy, her coworker, who was busy chatting with a couple of regulars. She bit her lip for a moment, then nodded. "I can swing that. Let me just make your coffee first."

Chris nodded, watching as she moved behind the counter to prepare his drink. She worked quickly, feeling his gaze on her the entire time, but sensing that something was on his mind. When the coffee was ready, she placed it in front of him and gestured toward Randy. "Hey, I'm taking a quick break."

Randy glanced up from his conversation, waving her off. "Yeah, sure, go ahead."

Y/N grabbed her own drink and led Chris to a quieter corner of the café, away from the remaining customers. They sat down at a small table, the soft lighting making the space feel almost intimate. Chris remained quiet, sipping his coffee but not saying anything. Y/N waited patiently, sensing that he needed a moment to gather his thoughts.

Finally, after what felt like minutes of silence, Chris sighed and looked at her. "I wanted to apologize."

Y/N blinked, tilting her head slightly. "For what?"

"For the articles. The rumors. I should've known something like this would happen." He ran a hand through his hair, clearly frustrated with the situation. "I didn't realize how fast things would get out of control. I'm sorry you got dragged into it."

Y/N stared at him for a moment, surprised by his genuine concern. She'd expected as much from Scarlett, but Chris? It caught her off guard. She shrugged, offering him a small smile. "It's bad, yeah. But it'll pass. These things always do."

Chris nodded, though he still looked troubled. "I hate that your name got pulled into this mess. People can be relentless when it comes to celebrity gossip."

Y/N took a sip of her drink, then leaned back in her chair, trying to ease the tension she could feel coming from him. "Honestly, I don't care about the articles, or that you and Scarlett are celebrities. To me, you're just...friends I met two weeks ago. That's it."

Chris's eyes softened at her words, a genuine smile tugging at his lips. "You're one of the few people who see us that way. I appreciate that."

Y/N shrugged, though she felt a little warmth in her chest from his gratitude. "It's not a big deal. I mean, sure, it's weird seeing my name in the headlines, but at the end of the day, I'm just Y/N, and you're just Chris."

Chris chuckled, shaking his head. "You'd be surprised how refreshing that is to hear."

They fell into easy conversation after that, talking about everything from the ridiculousness of the rumors to lighter topics. Y/N found herself relaxing, laughing at some of Chris's stories about life on set and how crazy the media could be. Despite his fame, Chris was down-to-earth, and talking to him felt...normal. 

As they chatted, Y/N noticed how the tension in Chris's posture slowly faded, his shoulders relaxing as he leaned forward, fully engaged in their conversation. She couldn't help but feel a sense of relief—this was the kind of interaction she preferred, far removed from the drama swirling around them.

After a while, there was a brief lull in their conversation, and Chris reached into his pocket, pulling out his phone. He glanced at Y/N, seeming a little hesitant, which immediately made her curious.

"So, uh..." Chris started, scratching the back of his neck again. "I know this might be a little forward, but...could I get your number?"

Y/N froze, her eyes widening slightly. Did Chris Evans just ask for her phone number? Her heart did a strange little flutter, and she had to force herself to stay calm. She stared at him for a moment, unsure if she'd heard him correctly.

"My number?" she repeated, her voice coming out a little more high-pitched than she'd intended.

Chris smiled sheepishly, his cheeks slightly flushed. "Yeah. Just in case...you know, if anything happens again with the media or whatever. I'd rather hear from you directly than through some tabloid."

Y/N hesitated, feeling a mix of excitement and nerves bubbling up inside her. Chris Evans—the Chris Evans—wanted her phone number. She could practically hear Calie's voice in her head streaming  in excitement. But she kept her composure, trying to play it cool.

"Uh, sure," she said finally, pulling out her phone and handing it to him. "Here."

Chris quickly punched in his number, then handed her phone back with a grin. "Thanks. I appreciate it."

Y/N felt like she might actually die from excitement right then and there, but she somehow managed to maintain her calm exterior. She tucked her phone back into her pocket, smiling awkwardly. "No problem."

They talked for a little while longer, the conversation returning to more lighthearted topics, but the whole time, Y/N couldn't stop thinking about the fact that she now had Chris Evans's phone number saved in her phone. It was surreal.

Eventually, Chris glanced at the time and sighed. "I should probably get going. Thanks for the coffee, and for the conversation."

Y/N stood up with him, nodding. "Anytime."

As they walked back to the counter, Chris flashed her one last smile. "See you around, Y/N."

"Yeah, see you," she replied, watching as he made his way out of the café.

The door closed behind him, and Y/N took a deep breath, trying to steady her racing heart. She was about to return to the counter when Randy, her coworker, sidled up next to her, leaning against the espresso machine with a mischievous grin.

"So," Randy said, dragging the word out. "You and Chris Evans, huh?"

Y/N blinked, caught off guard. "What? No, it's not like that."

Randy raised an eyebrow, clearly not convinced. "You sure? Looked pretty cozy from where I was standing."

Y/N rolled her eyes, already tired of the teasing. "We're not dating. He's just a friend."

Randy smirked, not backing down. "Right. Well, if you ever change your mind, just let me know."

Y/N shot him a look, shaking her head in exasperation. "You're impossible, Randy."

For the rest of the evening, Randy tried to flirt with her, tossing out playful comments and compliments, but Y/N was too distracted by everything that had happened to pay him much attention. Her mind kept drifting back to her conversation with Chris, the way he'd asked for her number, and the surreal feeling of being thrust into this strange new world of fame and rumors.

By the time her shift ended, Y/N was exhausted, both physically and mentally. She waved goodbye to Randy and stepped out of the café, the cool evening air hitting her face. As she walked home, her thoughts still swirled around Chris, Scarlett, and the whirlwind her life had become in such a short time.

She had no idea what was coming next, but for now, she was just trying to keep her feet on the ground.