Chapter 39: Coma Dream

Y/N paced relentlessly across the length of her bedroom, her mind spinning with a hundred different thoughts. Her footsteps echoed softly, and each time she turned, her expression grew more panicked. Meanwhile, Calie sat casually in the armchair, watching Y/N with a knowing smirk, trying—and failing—not to laugh. Cebrus had his head resting comfortably on her lap, completely unfazed by Y/N's turmoil.

"I don't get it, Calie! Why would she do that?" Y/N burst out, gesturing wildly as she walked. "What if it was just a joke? What if she didn't mean it? Or, I don't know, what if she's playing with me?"

Calie snorted, leaning back in the chair, clearly entertained. "Scarlett Johansson, playing with you? That's your theory?

Y/N threw her hands in the air. "It could happen! She's—she's Scarlett Johansson! She could have anyone she wants, so why would she... with me?"

Calie tried to hide her amusement behind her hand but failed miserably. "Oh, come on, Y/N. You're overthinking this. She literally kissed your neck. Pretty sure that wasn't an accident."

"But what if it was?" Y/N paused mid-pace, wide-eyed. "What if I've been in a coma for the past two months, and this is all just some weird dream? None of this is real."

That was too much for Calie, and she snorted loudly, unable to hold back her laughter. "Okay, now you're just being ridiculous," she said between giggles. "An idiot, honestly."

Y/N threw herself dramatically onto the bed, groaning into the pillow. "I know, I know. This all just seems too good to be real. It's like a dream, but not a coma dream. Maybe an alternate reality?"

Calie got up from the chair and sat on the edge of the bed, shaking her head in amusement. "Y/N, I've never seen you like this before. You're usually the calm one. The logical one. Now you're here talking about coma dreams and alternate realities."

Y/N rolled over onto her back, staring at the ceiling. "I know! I'm losing it, Cal. I've never been like this because nothing like this has ever happened to me. I don't know what to do. This is Scarlett Johansson we're talking about. She's... she's—"

"Stop," Calie interrupted, holding up her hand. "Let's break this down. You're not panicking because she's Scarlett Johansson. You're panicking because you like her. You've gotten to know her as a person, not some celebrity. So forget the fame for a second. Do you like her?"

Y/N stared up at the ceiling, her chest rising and falling as she took a deep breath. "I... yeah. I think I do. But what if—"

"Nope." Calie shook her head firmly. "No more 'what ifs.' What if she does like you? What if she wants to be with you? You can't keep thinking yourself out of this."

Y/N sighed deeply, covering her face with her hands. "Okay, okay. But let's say... hypothetically... I like her and she likes me. Then what? How is this supposed to work? She's Scarlett Johansson, Calie! Scarlett Johansson!"

Calie rolled her eyes, exasperated. "Stop saying her full name like that! You've spent all this time getting to know Scarlett the person, not the actress."

Y/N was quiet for a moment, letting Calie's words sink in. Then, with a groan, she threw her arm over her eyes. "It's just... a lot. I'm not used to this."

Calie gave a sympathetic smile. "I get that. But you'll figure it out. And if it helps, you're not doing it alone. You've got me. And you've got Scarlett. She's staying at Chris's for a week, by the way. Someone flooded her apartment."

Y/N lifted her arm to glance over at Calie. "She's staying at Chris's?"

"Yeah," Calie nodded. "She's there with Rose. She'll probably be alone with her tonight, actually."

Y/N sat up slowly, blinking. "Alone? With Rose?"

"Mm-hmm." Calie glanced at her phone, her fingers flying across the screen as she texted someone. "And Chris just asked me out on a date, so I won't be there either." She looked up, grinning. "Which means Scarlett could probably use some company."

Y/N stared at her friend, processing what she was implying. "You think I should go?"

"I know you should go," Calie said matter-of-factly. "You could help her with Rose, you know. Keep her company. It'll give you a chance to talk."

Y/N hesitated, biting her lip. "I don't know..."

Calie raised an eyebrow. "Come on, Y/N. It's not like you're gonna declare your love for her on the spot. Just go. Help her out with Rose, maybe have a conversation. You're already overthinking this—don't overthink that too."

After a moment, Y/N sighed, her shoulders slumping in defeat. "Fine. I'll go."

Calie squealed in delight, quickly typing out a message to Chris. "Yay! I'll let him know. Chris said he'll pick me up around six."

Y/N nodded, feeling a mix of excitement and nerves bubbling in her chest. She stood up and grabbed a bag, throwing a few things inside while Calie walked to her own room, which she shared with Y/N when she stayed over, to grab a dress. By the time Calie returned, it was only five o'clock, and the two of them were lying on the bed with Cebrus sprawled out between them.

Calie broke the comfortable silence after a few minutes. "Y/N, I've been thinking about something."

"Hmm?" Y/N turned her head to look at her friend.

"About your dad," Calie said quietly. "I know he hurt you, but he was in pain too. He was lost. And I don't think he meant the things he said."

Y/N's breath caught in her throat, her eyes focusing on Calie's face. "Cal..."

Calie pointed to the scar on her own chest, a faint line that held more significance than anyone could know. "This is proof, Y/N. A man who really thought those things wouldn't have done what he did. He wouldn't have given you his heart—literally—without a second thought."

Tears welled up in Y/N's eyes as she listened. She had spent years convincing herself that she didn't deserve love, that she wasn't good enough. Her father's words had left scars, but maybe, just maybe, Calie was right. Maybe he had loved her all along, even if he couldn't express it in the right way.

Y/N wiped at her eyes, sniffling softly. "You really think so?"

Calie reached over and squeezed her hand. "I know so. He loved you, Y/N. And I think it's time you started believing that."

For a moment, the room was quiet, the weight of Calie's words hanging in the air. Y/N took a deep breath, letting herself accept that maybe, just maybe, she could let go of some of the pain she had been carrying for so long.

"Thank you," Y/N whispered, her voice thick with emotion.

Calie smiled softly, squeezing her hand again before letting go. "Anytime."

The two of them lay there in silence for a little while longer, both lost in their own thoughts. Y/N's heart felt lighter, and for the first time in a long time, she felt like she could breathe again. Maybe things were finally starting to fall into place.