Part 40

Aegons face was shoved into his plate of food, prompting more gasps from around the table. Aenyra looked up to Aemond looking for any sign of regret, but his wicked smirk stayed glued to Jace on the floor.

Jace sprang to his feet, charging at Aemond once more, only to be halted by Daemon. Without uttering a word, Daemon raised his hand to signal Jace to stop and turned around to face Aemond. The two stood tall locked in a tense stare, both unwilling to back down.

In a swift motion, Aenyra pushed Aegon aside and grabbed Lucerys hand, rushing to their brother's side. The once cheerful atmosphere of the room fell silent as everyone watched the stand off between Daemon and Aemond.
Aemond's gaze softened momentarily as it landed on Aenyra's hurt expression behind Daemon, causing his smirk to falter. A part of him wanted to say something to mend the rift he put further between them.

His smirk faded further, replaced by a flicker of uncertainty. The tension in the room grew thick enough to cut with a knife, and for a heartbeat time seemed to stand still.
Daemons eyes narrowed, sensing the shift but he remained poised, ready to react to any sudden move from Aemond.

He threw one last glance at Aenyra  before quickly turning away and leaving the room. Aenyra watched him go,  wanting to chase after him but her attention shifted to Jace wincing in pain, she noticed the cut across the top of his cheek.
Rhaenyra hurried over, her eyes scanning Jace's face.

"I'm fine!" Jace said, pulling away from her touch, still angry over what happened.

Alicent snapping out of her shock grabbed Aegon's arm tugging him along with her, stopping beside Rhaenyra she offered a sympathetic look. "Im sorry, princess." Before leaving she cast a sorrowful glance to Aenyra then quickly left the room with Otto, Aegon and Helena, who looked back at Jace with a heavy heart.

As the door closed behind them, Jace took a deep breath, trying to shake off the tension that lingered in the air. Rhaenyra watched him closely, her concern evident.

"Are you really okay? She asked softly , stepping closer again.  Jace gives a slight nod "We leave in the at first light, we never should've stayed after the trial. I had hoped after all these years, things would have improved but I was foolish to believe that."

Aenyra felt her heart shatter at the thought of leaving so soon. What would happen to her and Aemond? They were betrothed, even if it was in secret. She had just managed to get him back in her life, she was finally happy— until Aemond's actions had cast a shadow over it all.

"I think I'm going to head to my chambers, the events from this evening have worn me out. Goodnight mother, father, brothers.
She forced a half hearted smile before quickly turning to leave the room, her heart feeling as heavy as her footsteps.

As Aenyra stepped out of the room, the weight of her thoughts pressed down on her, each step echoed the turmoil within. Walking further down the quiet corridors she could hear distant steps from behind her closing in, Turning around she seen Jacaerys quickly making his way to her.

"Jace?" Aenyra called out to him in confusion.

"You're going to him, aren't you?" Jace shot back, anger evident in his voice.

"Aren't you being dramatic? You don't know what you're talking about." Aenyrs replied, attempting to mask the truth.

"I'm not stupid, Aenyra I saw the way you two looked at one another in the training yard when we first arrived, the tourney when you suddenly disappeared afterwards — I know you've been with him. How can you go back to him after everything that happened? Jace said, gesturing to his face.