Chapter 307

With her brother's death, Yao Xiang was consumed by anger and grief, compounded by the physical toll of childbirth, leading to her falling ill.

Since waking from her coma, she had been unable to get out of bed.

Day after day, she relied on soups and medicine.

During the month she was ill, progress was made in the border conflicts.

The main forces of the Liao army launched a large-scale attack on Qingqiang Pass. The two armies fought for three whole days, but ultimately, the Liao forces were defeated and retreated in disarray.

After this assault, it was thought that the conflict would soon come to an end.

However, the Liao army made one last desperate attempt, ordering a surprise attack on Beiling Pass.

Fortunately, Ye Zhe had remained vigilant after the previous rebellion led by Yao Xu, and he commanded the troops from the city walls despite his injuries. Under the leadership of Yin's family and a few others, they successfully secured this battle.

By mid-October, the Liao army finally conceded defeat and surrendered.

Continuing the fight would only lead to more severe losses, especially with winter approaching and their supplies severely lacking.

The situation in the south was different; after the autumn harvest, the granaries were full.

After their defeat, the Liao kingdom sent envoys seeking peace, hoping that Nan Qi would marry one of its princesses to them as a gesture of goodwill between the two nations.

This proposal was promptly rejected by Ning Chen, who also dispatched troops to occupy territory within fifty miles of the Liao borders.

The Liao king then changed his mind, offering his most beautiful daughter in marriage to Ning Chen, along with tributes to Nan Qi.

Ning Chen, of course, looked down on such a "priceless" princess. However, while he had no interest in the princess herself, he was eager to accept tributes.

Nan Qi was wealthy and lacked nothing in fine silks and precious treasures, but there was one thing that Nan Qi needed that the Liao had: warhorses...

Ning Chen wrote to the Liao king, demanding the tribute of forty thousand excellent horses.

The Liao king naturally refused to comply with such an outrageous demand but was too afraid to outright reject it. He claimed that the Liao kingdom could not produce so many horses at once, offering only four thousand.

Unexpectedly, Ning Chen retorted that if they couldn't provide them all at once, they could deliver them slowly—four thousand horses a year would suffice within ten years.

If they refused to comply, Nan Qi army would simply go into Liao territory and take what they needed.

With this demand, the threat was evident, and even though the Liao kingdom was reluctant, they had no choice but to comply.

Though they produced many horses each year, good horses were rare. Offering four thousand quality horses annually meant they would hardly keep any for themselves and would need to make tributes for ten years.

For those ten years, the Liao kingdom would have no capability to engage in another war with Nan Qi.

This conflict truly established Ning Chen's authority, making neighboring small nations wary of underestimating this young emperor of Nan Qi.

This year, Ning Chen had just turned twenty-six.

At the same time, Ye Yun also celebrated her twenty-first birthday this year.