Chapter 296 - Wasted Effort

"The national treasury is clearly well-stocked with grain. Borrowing from the people might lead them to think the court can no longer even provide for the army. Wouldn't that shake their confidence? The border war is at a critical point, and we cannot allow unrest at home!" An elderly minister immediately stepped forward, voicing his concern.

The commander of the Imperial Guard, Lu Qingyun, shot him a sharp look.

"Any unrest at home can be pacified by the court, but if the border runs out of provisions, who will bear the consequences? You sit here comfortably in the capital, while the soldiers at the front risk their lives to maintain your peace and stability!"

General Lu at Huyu Pass was Lu Qingyun's father, and Lu Qingyun was the second son of the Lu family's main line.

Traditionally, when a general was stationed outside, a male family member had to remain in the capital as a sort of hostage in the Emperor's hands. This had been the practice for generations.

Apart from the female members of the Lu family, Lu Qingyun was the only man left in the capital.

He had been Ning Chen's study companion, and after Ning Chen ascended the throne, Lu Qingyun became the commander of the Imperial Guard—quite accomplished at a young age.

But now, with his father and brother in danger at the front lines, even someone as accomplished as he couldn't stay calm under the weight of it all.

"Qingyun, stay calm," said Xu Jiangbai, the Minister of Personnel, as he gently tugged on Lu Qingyun's sleeve.

Lu Qingyun glared fiercely at the old minister before restraining his temper.

"Your Majesty, I believe this plan is feasible. If we wait for the grain from the capital to be transported, even by water, it will only shorten the journey by four or five days. A five- or six-day shortage of provisions—how can the ninety thousand soldiers survive that?" Xu Jiangbai stepped forward.

Compared to Lu Qingyun, who was emotionally driven by the war situation, Xu Jiangbai was much calmer.

"This matter is easier said than done. Lord Liu's concerns aren't entirely without merit. What if the people fear the court won't repay the grain and refuse to lend it?" Another elderly minister stepped forward to ease the tension, and his words were reasonable.

At this point, Minister He of the Ministry of War also stood up.

"I believe, if the people are worried that the court won't repay them, we can add an additional condition: not only will we return the grain with an extra 20%, but we'll also reduce next year's taxes by 10%. When calculated, this will mean a 30% gain for the people."

At that moment, Prince Consort He also spoke in support.

"To contribute to the nation's efforts is an honor. If His Majesty later orders the construction of a monument of merit, those who lent grain to the government could have their names inscribed on it. Such a glorious achievement would surely appeal to wealthy families who wish to enhance their reputation."

This point hit the mark.

In this era, merchants were still looked down upon. The wealthy families, who had no shortage of grain or money, were precisely the ones eager to earn a good name—especially if the recognition came from the court.

As more people stood up to voice their agreement, including many who supported the idea, Ning Chen's expression improved.

His gaze swept across the assembly and settled on the Duke of Ying.

"What does Uncle think of this matter?"

"I am old now and cannot consider things as thoroughly as the younger ministers. I will defer to Your Majesty's decision," the Duke of Ying cupped his hands in a gesture of submission, indicating his agreement.