Chapter 309 - Leaving the Palace

In Zhaochun Pavillion.

Today, the wind outside picked up, making it a bit chilly. After having lunch, the two of them didn't feel like going out for a stroll.

With nothing much to do, Ye Yun called for someone to bring the child over.

The six-month-old Fourth Prince was now less likely to sleep much and was very excited when brought over. Accompanying him was the little shadow, Nian Gao.

As soon as they entered, Nian Gao comfortably nestled by the stove.

The room had several charcoal basins and a stove, keeping it warm. Ye Yun instructed someone to unwrap the Fourth Prince's small blanket, allowing him to play on the little couch.

Calling it a "little couch" wasn't entirely accurate; it was more like a raised platform by the window, similar to a kang. Soft cushions were laid on top, making it suitable for a little nap.

Ning Chen and Ye Yun sat on either side, with the child in the middle, surrounded by various stuffed toys like cloth tigers.

"Come, Jing'er, play with this," Ye Yun said with a smile, handing her son a small cloth horse. It had a bell the size of a mung bean tied around its neck, which looked adorable.

The Fourth Prince grabbed it and shook it.

The toy produced a crisp ringing sound, making him giggle with delight.

Seeing the mother and son together, Ning Chen couldn't help but smile.

"The wet nurse said that I didn't like to laugh when I was little. It seems Jing'er takes after you," he remarked.

"That's a good thing! A smiling face means fewer worries," Ye Yun replied, grinning.

After glancing at her son, she extended a finger for the Fourth Prince to hold and casually said, "Little children are simple-hearted; they love to laugh. The other princes and princesses must be the same, right?"

Her comment made Ning Chen reflect carefully.

He realized he hadn't really seen the other children smile much, except for the Eldest Princess. Back then, when he only had the Eldest Princess as his daughter, he would often visit her. She was always cheerful and would laugh whenever they met.

Now that she was older, she followed the rules meticulously, losing that warmth.

Ye Yun stole a glance at the person opposite her, lowering her eyes, and subtly nudged the Fourth Prince.

A six-month-old child loved to roll around, and dressed in clothes, it was difficult to move. But with his mother's assistance, it was a different story.

The Fourth Prince rolled over and happened to grab his father's thigh.

Murmuring to himself, he began to nibble on Ning Chen's robe.

By the time Ning Chen snapped back to reality, his knee was already soaked with his son's drool. He quickly lifted the little guy up.

As soon as he did, the Fourth Prince looked at him and burst into giggles.

Ye Yun raised an eyebrow. "Jing'er likes it when Father lifts him up high!"

Upon hearing this, Ning Chen tried lifting his son even higher, and sure enough, the Fourth Prince laughed even more joyfully.

The two were having a great time—one was experiencing being lifted high for the first time, while the other was lifting his child high for the first time.

Sitting wasn't enough; Ning Chen was in high spirits and decided to stand up and lift him.

The Fourth Prince's laughter sounded like tinkling silver bells, but after playing for a while, they were called to stop.