Chapter 207 - Composed and Steady

Naturally, Ning Chen wouldn't listen to just one side of the story. He asked the imperial physician for advice, and surprisingly, there was some merit to it. With this, Shu Fei became even more enthusiastic and revealed her full intention.

"In my opinion, for the sake of the First Prince and Wen De Fei's health, it would be best to send them back to the palace to recuperate."

Perhaps fearing that she couldn't accomplish this on her own, she glanced around the group and singled out two others.

"Yi Xiuyuan, Ming Jieyu, don't you agree?"

"Shu Fei is acting out of kindness, but matters concerning the consorts are beyond my authority to comment on," Yi Xiuyuan replied.

Her response was vague, neither fully agreeing nor disagreeing with Shu Fei's suggestion.

Ye Yun, on the other hand, was more direct, swiftly deflecting the responsibility.

"I'm not a physician and don't understand medicine. Whether Wen De Fei and the First Prince should recuperate here or elsewhere is something that should be left to the physicians."

With both of them tactfully avoiding the issue, Wen De Fei began to feel a bit panicked. She quickly chimed in.

"Though Lingxi Garden is cool and has some chill, firstly, the weather is getting hotter, and secondly, with His Majesty residing here, the emperor's noble aura can surely help protect and heal the First Prince and me more swiftly."

Of course, she didn't want to return to the palace. Going back would mean not seeing the emperor for months. Moreover, with the empress still in the palace, if she decided to make things difficult for her and her son while the emperor wasn't there, what could they do?

Ning Chen noticed her anxiety and understood that sending Wen De Fei and the First Prince back to the palace might only worsen her emotional state. Sighing, he gently patted the back of her hand to comfort her.

"You and the First Prince should stay in the garden to recover. Since you can't handle the cold, use less ice indoors, and at night, don't open all the windows. The garden is filled with water breezes, which can be the coldest."

"Thank you for Your Majesty's concern. I will be sure to take good care of the First Prince and myself," Wen De Fein nodded, her expression finally relaxing a little.

Seeing that the situation seemed to be calming down, Ye Yun lost interest in watching the drama unfold. She gracefully curtsied and said, "Wen De Fei still needs to rest, so I will take my leave now to avoid disturbing her recovery."

Ning Chen glanced at her briefly and waved his hand, "Mm, you may go."

With Ye Yun leading the way, the other concubines had no choice but to follow and leave as well. Once outside Yulan Pavilion, Shu Fei let out a cold snort, "I never would have guessed that Ming Jieyu has become so kind-hearted, even caring about whether Wen De Fei recovers well or not."

This was clearly a complaint about Ye Yun not backing her up earlier.

"Oh, Your Highness, all my good intentions were spent on you long ago. Do you not remember how, during the emperor's northern tour to Zasake, it was out of my compassion for your longing for your daughter that I informed His Majesty and helped send you back to the palace? Now that it's Wen De Fei's turn, I'm afraid I've run out of kindness."

Who was she kidding? She didn't get along with Wen De Fei, but she wasn't exactly on friendly terms with Shu Fei either.

Ye Yun cast a calm glance at her, not waiting for a response, and walked away.