Chapter 289 - The Wheel of Fortune

The two children were born on the same day, and now they were having their full-month banquet together, making gift-giving a focal point.

The Empress Dowager was the first to present her gifts, following tradition, and treating both children equally.

Next was the Empress, who also adhered to the rules but made a point to praise the Fourth Prince a little more.

When it came to Shu Fei, things took a turn. She prepared significantly more gifts for the Fourth Prince than for the Third Princess.

Although Ye Yun held a higher rank than Yao Xiang, this still didn't look good.

But Shu Fei was always confident in her decisions and didn't even notice Ning Chen's expression darkening.

Fortunately, she was the only one this oblivious; everyone else gave the two children equal gifts.

"Today is a family gathering. With the children's joyous occasion, let's also use it to bring good fortune to the frontier battles. There's no need to be too formal—enjoy the food and drink," Ning Chen said with a cheerful smile, raising his cup and downing his drink in one go.

At this point, Prince Kang chimed in, "With this auspicious pair of dragon and phoenix twins, I'm sure Your Majesty will be in good spirits for a long time. I raise a toast to you, and after this drink, I have a little happy news to share with you."

"Oh? You're keeping secrets from me now?" Ning Chen raised an eyebrow slightly and pointed at Prince Kang before lifting his cup. "Alright, I'll drink this with you."

The two brothers exchanged a smile and downed their drinks together.

After putting down his cup, Prince Kang finally spoke. "My wife has been pregnant for three months."

As he said this, Prince Kang turned to look at his princess, his eyes full of affection.

Princess Xu smiled back at him, and it was clear from their expressions that the couple had a very good relationship.

This made the side consort, Lady Xie, who sat on the other side of Prince Kang, look all the more unnecessary.

"Great! This is truly wonderful news. This is your first child, and once you become a father, I will feel at ease, and it will also give an explanation to Father," Ning Chen said with a smile, looking at the couple.

After that, he generously rewarded Princess Kang with many gifts.

Seeing the affectionate couple, the Empress and Princess Ping were filled with envy. However, the Empress was the most envious, since Princess Ping already had a daughter and had a good relationship with Prince Ping. Among the siblings and in-laws, it was Ning Chen and the Empress who had the most distant relationship.

"The Third Princess and the Fourth Prince are both adorable. I only hope that the one in my belly will be the same," Princess Kang said with a happy smile. "Just now, I took a look at the Fourth Prince—he's so fair and plump. The Third Princess is also so peaceful and well-behaved in her sleep."

Xu Shi was clever; today was the full-month banquet for the prince and princess, and she didn't want to steal the spotlight. Announcing her pregnancy was enough—no need to overshadow the main event. With her words, everyone's attention naturally returned to the two little stars of the day.

Ning Chen glanced at Ye Yun and smiled, "Ming Xiuyi's skin is fair, and the Fourth Prince takes after her in that regard. He should resemble his mother a bit, otherwise, she'll complain to me again."

"The Emperor takes a few playful words from me and brings them up in front of everyone. You're going to embarrass me to death," Ye Yun said, her charming eyes playfully raised, a mix of flirtation and teasing that was irresistibly alluring.

The other concubines were filled with envy, wishing they could pluck out those captivating eyes of hers—it was too seductive! But the Emperor, of course, played along with her, his smile soft and tender.

"A few jokes, and you're embarrassed? I don't think you're usually this shy. Now that you've finished your confinement and can drink, you're not getting out of this cup today," Ning Chen said with a grin.

"I'd love to drink, but I don't even have a cup," Ye Yun raised an eyebrow, glancing at the table where indeed no cup had been prepared for her.

Ning Chen's expression darkened slightly, but he said nothing. He finished his own cup of wine and refilled it. Then, suddenly, he said, "Yuan Jiu, bring my cup to Ming Xiuyi."

At these words, everyone was stunned, even Ye Yun paused for a moment. But it was only a brief hesitation before she regained her composure. She took the silver cup from Yuan Jiu, smiled at Ning Chen, and drained the wine.

At that moment, the expressions of the other concubines changed. Even those trying to maintain their composure could not hide their fading smiles. It wasn't for nothing—this act was simply too intimate, especially in front of so many people. The Emperor truly doted on Ye Shi.

Even the Empress Dowager's face darkened as she watched. If the Emperor favored Ye Shi this much and Ye Shi had borne a prince, wouldn't that block the way for others?

Just as she was about to say something, Ning Chen spoke again.

"Bring me another cup. I'll drink with Huo Cairen as well."

Huo Cairen didn't quite understand but respectfully raised her cup and drank.

In the end, everyone heard Ning Chen's hearty laugh from the main seat.

"General Ye, General Huo, the young talents of our Nan Qi should not be underestimated!"

"Your two brothers joined forces to decisively break the Liao army's siege and pursued the enemy for thirty li, capturing over a hundred fine warhorses for me. Truly, they are heroes of Nan Qi!" Ning Chen exclaimed.

The reason Ning Chen had arrived a bit late to the banquet today was because he had been reviewing the victory report from Lingzhou. These two brothers, though their combined age was barely that of General Xian, had achieved a far more impressive victory. They truly had talent.

"No wonder the Emperor is in such high spirits today, with news of a triumph at the border," the Empress said with a smile. She glanced at Ye Yun, then added, "With such an uncle, the Fourth Prince is sure to be brave and extraordinary in the future."

At this mention, the gaze of Yi Shunrong, sitting nearby, turned a little colder. She lowered her head and focused on her food, hiding the anxiety in her eyes.

Ye Yun, understanding the Empress's intentions, remained unhurried and calmly responded, "I haven't thought about how the Fourth Prince will turn out in the future. Right now, he's still so young. If he can grow up safely, that would already be a blessing. Our First Prince, Second Prince, and Third Prince—aren't they all exceptional? Your Majesty shouldn't just praise the Fourth Prince alone."

"Of course, they are all the Emperor's blood, and all the princes and princesses are excellent," the Empress replied, though her smile faded slightly.

But Ye Yun wasn't about to let it go so easily. She turned to the Empress with a sincere expression and said, "No matter how well I or any of the others do, we can never compare to you, Your Majesty, giving birth to the legitimate heir. All of us, myself and the sisters, are hoping you will soon be blessed with another pregnancy."

In the past, the Empress had always used this issue to jab at her, but now the tables had turned.

Indeed, fortunes change, and there comes a time when one finds the arrows pointing in their direction. By bringing up the matter of a legitimate heir, Ye Yun also drew the Empress Dowager into the conversation. After all, the Empress Dowager's plan was to elevate the Chen family's daughter to the Empress position, hoping for another Empress from the Chen family. But to accomplish that, they would first need to bring down the current Empress.

Thus, following Ye Yun's lead, the Empress Dowager added, "Speaking of which, it's been over a year since the Empress's miscarriage. Your body should be well-nourished by now. It's time to focus on producing a legitimate heir. Look at the Eldest Princess—she's almost seven. Your Majesty must take this matter to heart."