Chapter 360 - Private Motives

The Empress Dowager shared this sentiment with Ning Chen.

However, Ning Chen harbored an additional private motive. Though he currently had no intention of establishing an Empress, it did not mean he lacked a candidate in mind.

Naturally, that candidate was Ye Yun.

But appointing Ye Yun as Empress now would undoubtedly make her the target of resentment within the harem, especially with the Fourth Prince still so young; it was far too dangerous.

On this topic, the Empress Dowager realized she had gained nothing and wisely chose not to press further. She allowed the Emperor to have his dinner and soon dismissed everyone.

"He actually doesn't want to make Ye Shi the Empress."

The Empress Dowager's expression was calm as she leaned back in her chair, allowing her servant to knead her legs.

Fu Momo lowered her gaze. "From what I can see, it's not that he doesn't want to; rather, he's simply restraining himself due to his affections."

The Emperor's affection for Ming Zhaoyuan didn't seem feigned. The servants had spotted them together more than once, even holding hands during their walks.

Furthermore, one could not deny that eyes don't lie.

"I just don't understand. Is Ye Shi really that wonderful? It's as if the Emperor has been bewitched," the Empress Dowager coldly huffed, her eyes filled with disdain. "In my view, she isn't even the most beautiful in the harem, and her temperament is unruly and arrogant—she hardly resembles a concubine."

Fu Momo remained silent, simply bowing her head and listening to the Empress Dowager's complaints.

It was inappropriate for a servant to speak ill of their master, and besides, the Empress Dowager was not one to tolerate dissenting opinions. Since she insisted on voicing her thoughts, Fu Momo would just listen.

As for whether Ming Zhaoyuan was truly worthy, that was ultimately up to the Emperor's feelings and not something the Empress Dowager could influence with a few words.

"Why are you silent?" The Empress Dowager, having vented her frustration, glanced at her long-serving attendant by her side.

Fu Momo forced a smile. "I'm getting old, and my energy isn't what it used to be."

After hearing this, the Empress Dowager sighed. "You're old, and so am I, but the Emperor is in his prime."

This statement was vague, and Fu Momo was unsure if she understood it, but she refrained from replying. She helped the Empress Dowager into her inner chamber to rest.

Meanwhile, Ning Chen left Cining Palace and returned to Jiuchen Palace.

He felt somewhat displeased after his conversation with the Empress Dowager.

If the Empress Dowager truly cared for him and the harem, she would have brought up the topic of appointing an Empress with genuine concern. Even if they disagreed, he would not have felt uncomfortable.

However, today, the Empress Dowager's intent was clearly to test him and influence the choice of the Empress.

Ning Chen found such behavior very distasteful.

No emperor enjoys having their decisions swayed by others, even if that person is their own mother.

Indeed, while filial piety is paramount, one must first consider responsibilities and the stability of the state when seated on the throne.

Although Ning Chen had no intention of establishing an Empress, others harbored ambitions for the position.

From news that had spread today, Yi Shunyi learned that the Emperor intended to appoint Ye Yun as Empress.