Chapter 223 - In Love With You

"That's true, but I'm still worried," Huo Yue said, looking quite troubled. "Next year, we'll have the selection of new candidates. Fresh faces will come in, and just like that, three years have passed."

In three years, Wanrong had risen to the position of Jieyu, but her ascent had indeed been slow.

Of course, this was partly because Ye Yun had entered the palace at a higher rank, unlike others who mostly started as Cainu or Baolin.

However, Wu Shi, who had entered at the same level as her, had already given birth to the Third Prince and had become one of the Nine Consorts as a Xiuyuan.

But Ye Yun wasn't anxious; she fanned herself calmly, her eyes reflecting indifference.

"With An Shi removed, the most threatening figure in the harem is definitely Yi Xiuyuan. She has favor, children, and a good family background. It's only a matter of time before she's made a higher-ranking consort. However, the Empress won't let her rise that easily. In addition, Fang Xiuyuan has little favor, so the Empress will surely lift me up to compete with Yi Xiuyuan."

"But if the Empress is too foolish to think of these things, then let's pretend I didn't say anything. However... I believe Ding Momo by the Empress's side is smart enough to give her a reminder."

Especially since Su Jieyu was now pregnant.

Although Su Jieyu wasn't favored, her family's status couldn't be ignored.

The Emperor would certainly elevate Su Jieyu to stabilize Zhasake.

Looking at the harem, Ye Yun, who had no children but had both family background and favor, was the best choice for competition.

As for Yao Shi, having such a high rank without having given birth, the Empress wouldn't promote her, no matter who she favored.

If Yao Shi were to become pregnant, she'd definitely be suppressed.

In any case, there was never an absolute advantage in the harem; those in power would always find ways to balance the different factions.

On the fifteenth day of the eighth month, it was the Mid-Autumn Festival.

This was the first time since Ning Chen ascended to the throne that a state banquet was held in Lingxi Garden, and it was an evening affair.

The venue was elegantly chosen, situated in a grand hall by the lake.

It had previously served as a stage for performances and was spacious, making it quite suitable for hosting a banquet now.

Although there were no operas being performed, the central stage was also great for the dancers.

The Empress Dowager was all smiles as she was supported by her son and daughter-in-law, sitting steadily in the main seat, looking just like an ordinary matron from a wealthy family.

The concubines below were all dressed to the nines, each one putting in great effort to look their best.

After all, those who could attend today had a certain weight in the Emperor's heart, so they certainly wanted to seize the opportunity to win his favor.

But despite the hall full of beauties, Ning Chen quickly spotted Ye Yun among them.

There was no other reason; Ye Yun's attire today was truly eye-catching.

She wore a chest-length pine green ruqun made of auspicious brocade, embroidered with thousands of cloud vines using silver thread mixed with ice silk. The sleeves and waist were adorned with pearls the size of soybeans, plump and round, shining softly under the candlelight, subtly outlining the graceful curves of a young girl.