Chapter 359 - No Empress

There was no one in the Central Palace.

These four words were like a thorn in the Empress Dowager's heart.

Over the years, she had noticed that Ning Chen did not favor the daughters of the Chen family; the title he conferred upon them was a clear indication of that.

Qian Jieyu had neither favor nor children, so it was impossible for her to ascend to the position of Empress.

Even if there were a selection of talents next year, the Chen family currently had no suitable daughters of the right age, and moreover, it was quite obvious that Ning Chen would not take another daughter from the Chen family.

Thus, even if the Central Palace were filled, it could never be with someone from the Chen family.

The Emperor currently dotes on Ye Shi, whose maternal family holds significant power and has given birth to a royal son. If Ye Shi were pushed forward to become Empress, it would surely hold firm.

However, if that day truly came, the glory of the Chen family would come to an end.

"Ah, now that I am raising the Eldest Prince, at least I can see the Emperor a few times. It doesn't count as losing favor. Otherwise, with my inability to bear children, I might not even have the voice to complain about being bullied," Wan Xiuyi said, watching Empress Dowager's expression change, knowing that she was likely considering the benefits and drawbacks involved. She sighed at the right moment.

At this, the Empress Dowager glanced at her critically.

Indeed, Wan Xiuyi was beautiful and intelligent, with a decent family background. Since entering the palace, she hadn't been overly favored, but her royal favor had not waned either. Moreover, she was raising the Eldest Prince, who was close to the Empress Dowager, and she herself could not bear children.

Such a woman was destined to have no chance of becoming Empress, but she could be relied upon to help support someone who could rival Ye Shi's favor and ultimately prevent her from becoming Empress.

With these thoughts, a slight smile appeared on the Empress Dowager's face.

"You poor child, but you're still young, and your looks and family background are good. Besides, you already have a child, so what is there to fear?"

"I can see that the Emperor has you in his heart. Otherwise, why would he still let you stay the night? Just look at Shu Fei and Jing De Fei; it's not the same."

Wan Xiuyi's face flushed, her eyes filled with a mix of shyness and sadness as she slightly lowered her head.

"Your Majesty, you truly overestimate me. This is merely the Emperor's pity for me. After all, Your Majesty is the elder; I dare not seek the Emperor's favor, only wish for Your Majesty's compassion," she said.

With this, the step was naturally set, and the Empress Dowager was willing to follow along.

Feigning a loving expression, she said, "You are well-behaved and sensible; naturally, I will cherish you. In the future, bring the Eldest Prince to Cining Palace often. I can still say a few words on your behalf in front of the Emperor."

"Yes," Wan Xiuyi replied, respectfully rising to bow.

She was clever and had already decided to please Empress Dowager, and in just one afternoon, she had made her smile and laugh.

In the end, she stayed for dinner with the Eldest Prince before leaving.

Two days later, someone went to Jiuchen Palace to invite Ning Chen to the Empress Dowager's for lunch.