Chapter 352 - Searching the Palace

Ye Yun chuckled lightly, her gaze narrowing.

"So that's how it is. However, I've already interrogated this girl, and she told me she did not steal anything. She also revealed something significant to me."

At this point, Ye Yun deliberately paused, her sharp gaze fixing on Yao Xiang.

Yao Xiang remained composed, "Shunyi shouldn't take the girl's word as truth. How could I defame a mere servant? Moreover, this girl has been coughing lately, and her voice has been hoarse. How could she tell you anything?"

"Is that so?" Ye Yun feigned surprise, slowly walking up to Nianwen and stopping in front of her. "But she just answered my questions. Her voice was made hoarse by you. Moreover, she said that Fang Xiuyuan wanted to kill me."

In an instant, Yao Xiang's eyes darkened but quickly returned to normal.

With a smile, she spoke, "If that's the case, Shunyi believes her, then? She is merely trying to fabricate a story to escape punishment for theft."

However, upon hearing this, Nianwen shook her head vigorously.

Yao Xiang, seething with anger, thought about killing Nianwen on the spot. It was her oversight that allowed Nianwen to escape with the item, but fortunately, they managed to snatch it back.

If it had been discovered missing, it would have been difficult to explain.

"Look at her; she still denies it. I'm curious what royal gift she stole since we found nothing on her," Ye Yun said with a hint of mockery.

Yao Xiang pursed her lips, "She stole my gilded peacock hairpin, which the Emperor gifted me for the Third Princess's birthday. If it's not found, perhaps she lost it while fleeing. If Shunyi doesn't believe me, she can send someone to look for it."

Though Ye Yun knew Yao Xiang had likely prepared for this statement, she still cooperatively sent someone to search.

In that moment, the physician she had summoned earlier arrived.

"What does Ming Shunyi mean by this?" Yao Xiang's pupils contracted, her demeanor suddenly tense.

The arrival of the physician would surely reveal the truth about Nianwen's voice.

Seeing Yao Xiang's reaction, Ye Yun felt increasingly confident.

"It's nothing much; I just want to have a look at this girl's throat. Since she claims Fang Xiuyuan wants to kill me, I must get to the bottom of this. There's no such thing as a wall that doesn't let the wind through; I can't let such statements go unchallenged."

Without giving Yao Xiang a chance to speak further, Ye Yun ordered the physician to check Nianwen's throat.

The conclusion was indeed that it was poisoned to the point of hoarseness.

Ye Yun's expression immediately turned icy. "Fang Xiuyuan, how do you explain this? Didn't you say just now that her voice was hoarse from illness?!"

"As far as I know, she was indeed hoarse from illness. As for why she became poisoned after coming to Ming Shunyi, I have no idea!" Yao Xiang raised her chin, her gaze sharp.

It was clear she had already prepared this excuse.

At that moment, Nianwen suddenly tore open her outer garment, revealing a white inner garment underneath. Close to her chest, there was a patch of faint red powder.

She wiped it with her hand and then held it out toward the physician, seemingly trying to prompt him to ask about it.

Ye Yun signaled to the physician with her eyes.