Chapter 208 - Losing Temper

Standing nearby, Huoyue's expression immediately darkened. She was just about to step forward when Ning Chen's voice interrupted.

"What's your name?"

The hearts of those around Ye Yun sank. Could it be that the Emperor had taken a liking to her?

In contrast, Hanyan's heart soared with joy. She quickly replied, "Your Majesty, this servant is called Hanyan, taken from the poem, 'Cold mist guides the light silk, while the setting sun lingers on the high peak.'"

"The Emperor, this palace maid understands poetry as well. Raise your head so I can take a look," Ye Yun arched an eyebrow, a cold glint in her eyes.

Hanyan felt a bit scared, but thinking the Emperor must have taken a liking to her, she raised her head.

To her surprise, Ye Yun burst out laughing.

"Oh my, I thought she was some kind of stunning beauty. Huoyue, Nanzhi, come over here and let Hanyan see if her looks surpass yours."

The attendants around Ye Yun were all selected for their beauty. The Ye family, being a prominent household, treated their personal maids with more indulgence than those from ordinary noble families, let alone someone like Hanyan, who had a less fortunate background.

Hanyan's looks were outstanding among the ordinary palace maids, but in the harem, she was like a withered willow.

Being teased like this made Hanyan's face flush instantly, and tears involuntarily rolled down her cheeks. With her appearance resembling a rain-drenched pear blossom, it evoked a sense of pity in others.

"I don't know what I did wrong to deserve such humiliation from Jieyu. I only wanted to serve the Emperor some soup. If Jieyu is displeased, I can withdraw right away."

She had some wit, knowing how to say the right things to gain a man's sympathy.

But she didn't realize there was already a manipulative character like Zhang Cairen in the palace; nowadays, the Emperor isn't easily swayed by such tactics.

"You don't even know what you did wrong? This is how you serve your master?" Ning Chen spoke coldly. "Take her away. Whoever raised her, let them be punished as well! Wen De Fei is still ill, and you all have such vile thoughts! Do you think I'm a fool?!"

At this point, Hanyan was utterly stunned and couldn't even beg for mercy.

She had never expected that this seemingly handsome and gentle man could have such a fierce temper.

There was no opportunity for her to regret her actions; she was promptly taken away by Yuan Jiu.

Ning Chen, too, had been feeling unsettled lately with court affairs, and with both princes and consorts falling ill in the harem, his mood was already poor, and Hanyan had simply crossed him.

"Your Majesty, please don't let this upset you. She's just a palace maid trying to climb the social ladder. In the depths of the palace, who doesn't want to live better? Moreover, with your handsome looks, what young woman wouldn't be captivated after just one glance?"

Ye Yun stood up and personally served him a bowl of mung bean soup. 

Just now, she had noticed Hanyan's gaze, which was filled with unmistakable affection; it was clear that she was captivated by Ning Chen's looks. However, this palace maid should never think of rising to a higher position in front of her. 

The servant climbing onto the dragon bed was something Ye Yun would never tolerate. 

"You have quite a good temper," Ning Chen snorted, clearly still fuming.