Chapter 373

In Qixiang Palace,

Wan Xiuyi leaned against a small couch, her forehead resting on her hand, eyes closed as she tried to relax.

Yet, the tightly knit brows hinted that she was far from comfortable.

Ye Yun's sudden return to the palace had disrupted all her previous plans; at this moment, she wished she could strangle the person who poisoned the Fourth Prince.

She had initially spread rumors about the Emperor's intention to make Ye Yun the Empress, alerting everyone in the harem. Then she found a way to teach Li Wanrong about astrology, pushing Yi Shunyi to take action and force Ye Yun to leave the palace to pray for blessings.

Coincidentally, a large number of people in the palace fell ill with a cold, as if heaven was helping her along.

Although the Emperor ended up leaving the palace with Ye Yun, it didn't matter; what she wanted was simply to separate Ye Yun from the Fourth Prince. With the Empress Dowager's assistance in eliminating Ye Yun, the Fourth Prince would be left as an orphan, making him easier to control.

If anyone believed that the Empress Dowager hadn't poisoned the Fourth Prince, it had to be her.

After all, she knew best that the Empress Dowager intended to raise the Fourth Prince with Qian Jieyu; how could she want to poison him?

She had no idea who was stirring up trouble behind the scenes. Their plan had failed, and now the Emperor had safely returned to the palace with Ye Yun, leaving her feeling frustrated and thwarted.

Footsteps were heard at the door, and Wan Xiuyi reined in her thoughts, sitting up slightly.

"How's the investigation?"

"I'm useless; I haven't found anything," the maid Shihua said, her expression troubled. "The Emperor has forbidden anyone from approaching Cining Palace and has secretly dispatched the original attendants to various posts, leaving us without any clues."

Wan Xiuyi's gaze darkened, a flicker of unwillingness and irritation flashing in her eyes.

"This time, the Empress Dowager has thoroughly disappointed the Emperor. Forget it; it's best not to stir the waters too much, lest the Emperor grows weary of me."

Shihua nodded, choosing not to speak further.

Suddenly, Wan Xiuyi asked, "When is Qin Wanrong due?"

"Calculating, she's due in March next year," Shihua replied.

Then her expression froze, and she looked up at her mistress, "Qin Wanrong is under the care of De Fei; it won't be easy for her to have this child."

"She already has the Second Prince; how could the Emperor give her another?" Wan Xiuyi said dismissively.

Shihua pursed her lips, ultimately choosing not to say more.

At that moment, Shiqin lifted the curtain and entered. "Xiuyi, the Eldest Prince has brought you soup."

"Really? Quickly, let him in." Wan Xiuyi instantly shed her cold demeanor, replacing it with a gentle smile.

The Eldest Prince entered and respectfully bowed.

"Son pays his respects to Mother. The imperial physician said that it's easy to catch a cold in winter and that you should take extra nourishment, so I had someone prepare pigeon soup for you. Please have a taste."

The six-year-old Eldest Prince had finally developed the grace and demeanor of the royal family.

Although Wan Xiuyi did not have true feelings for him, she had indeed taught him with care.