Chapter 284 - No Need

No matter how things were elsewhere, the atmosphere in Zhao Chun Pavilion was still quite pleasant.

However, this pleasantness didn't last long.

Early the next morning, Yuan Jiu arrived with a group of people and began digging up the flowers and plants next to the eastern wing.

"Master Yuan, what are you doing? Why are you digging this up for no reason?" Bai Zhu approached and asked.

Yuan Jiu squinted slightly, a cold glint flashing in his eyes.

"Just wait and see; you'll know soon enough."

As he spoke, he instructed the little eunuchs nearby to grab shovels and start working.

The noise naturally reached inside.

At this moment, Ye Yun had just finished her breakfast, and her wet nurse was bringing the baby over for her to see when she heard the commotion outside.

"What's going on out there?"

"I'll go take a look." Huiyue bowed and pushed the door open to check.

Bai Zhu then relayed what Yuan Jiu had just said to her.

A moment later, Huiyue returned and said, "Master Yuan brought a group of people to dig up the flowers and plants next to the eastern wing. He didn't say what he was doing, just that we'll know soon."

After hearing this, Ye Yun's expression darkened.

She waved to the wet nurse, "Take the child away for now."

Finally, she turned to the two maids in the room and said, "If I guess correctly, there must be something in that flower bed."

Nanzhi and Huiyue exchanged glances, both understanding the implication.

"I've been very vigilant lately. This matter absolutely isn't something done by those close to me. I suspect it happened when they were planting flowers or tidying up the courtyard," Huiyue remarked.

Ye Yun nodded, "I believe you. Let's wait and see who's trying to harm me."

As she spoke, her gaze was as cold as ice, making it difficult for anyone to meet her eyes.

This time, the person behind the scenes was not only trying to harm her but also her child, which she could not tolerate.

Within the time it took to burn a stick of incense, they indeed uncovered something outside.

On the side near the eastern wing, the color of the soil was noticeably darker than ordinary soil, and it was mixed with some fine, woodchip-like substances that were quite difficult to detect.

When Yuan Jiu arrived, he brought a royal physician with him. After examining the area, they confirmed that it was this object that attracted the snakes.

They also discovered how the snakes had entered.

In the area where the soil color was different, there was a hole about the size of a potato at the base of the wall. At first glance, the hole seemed sealed, but it could still allow stones to be removed.

It was estimated that the snakes followed this hole, attracted by the scent in the soil, and crawled in.

Naturally, these findings were not kept from Ye Yun, who was immediately informed.

However, Ye Yun raised another question, "Why did the snakes come into the courtyard but not go anywhere else, instead making their way directly to my main room?"

This was also one of the points of doubt.

After all, snakes do not obey human commands; they crawl wherever they please.