Chapter 36: Releasing of Feelings... and Travis

Malkia's P-O-V

I woke up and did my morning routine. When I got done, I went downstairs, for something to eat and noticed my mother sitting silently at the table.

"Good morning, ma," I said opening the refrigerator.

I heard no reply. I closed the fridge door then walked over to the table and sat across from her.

"Mom?"

"Elizabeth..."

"What?"

"Andrew's mother. Elizabeth. She's dead."

"What do you mean she's-"

"She committed suicide last night! She's dead!" She yelled banging her fist on the table.

"Well, why did she do it?" I croaked as I saw tears fall from my mother's eyes.

"Lord knows why. She called me last night, you know? She said: 'Dawn, I love you. You're like a sister to me.' But I didn't know that it was a cry for help. I didn't know that I wouldn't see her again. If only I had known. I feel like this is all my fault..."

"It's not your fault. The lady wanted to kill herself. She didn't even stop to think about her son that loved her so much. That was selfish of her," She went silent and hung her head. "Listen, I'm going to go and talk to Andrew. Don't beat yourself up about it mom."

"Alright..." she whispered as she trudged off to her room.

I got dressed then went next door to see if Andrew was there. I saw a few people standing outside looking at the house and placing teddy bears at the doorstep. I rolled my eyes and knocked on the door. I had gotten no response so I decided to text him.

Me: Where are you? We need to talk.

Soon enough my phone vibrated to show his response.

From Andrew: Meet me at the park, okay?

Me: Okay.

I walked over to the park and took a seat on the same bench that we sat at on our "date". I shook my leg and chewed on my bottom lip as I anxiously waited for his arrival. After 15 minutes of waiting, I finally saw him coming my way. He gave me a light smile and sat next to me. I gave him a fake smile back. I was planning to dump him this morning, but that would make me look bad on account of him losing his mother. I'm cold, but not that cold.

"So... what did you want to talk to me about?"

"Are you alright? I know about your mother."

I saw his face become expressionless and he stared into space, "Yeah, what about it?"

"Well, I wanted to let you know that I feel your pain... My father died a few years ago."

"You don't understand my pain until you understand the relationship I had with my mother," he replied flatly.

"What do you mean?"

"Were you close with your father? Did he treat you well? Were you aware that he loved you and you loved him back and he knew that as well?"

"Well, yeah."

"Mine was opposite. I knew my mother loved me, but I didn't want to believe her. I treated her wrong. I disrespected her..."

"Why?"

"You know, I get that question a lot. And I give everyone the same answer about my mother being a drinker and how she mistreated me whenever she was drunk. I told them all that because of her drinking ways, she was the reason I had no father, but I never thought about my actions. She was trying to change. She really was. But the way I treated her and continued to bring up the past is what led her into relapsing back into drinking again."