Chapter 22 - On edge

Sorry about that Little cliff-hanger. Never mind, it makes this chapter more exciting :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He saw me staring down at his hand, mouth slightly ajar, eyes fixed on the bloodied scar that peeked just below his dark leather sleeve. He shuffled it down, tugging the coat down and smiling towards me, hiding any evidence of injury.

"Hey, you alright?" He walked through the restaurant door, heads turning at his gorgeous, electric persona.

"What's on your hand?" I blurted, ignoring his friendly questions, already in a foul mood.

"It's nothing, grumpy, just a scratch." He laughed it off, folding his hand even deeper into his cuff.

"Yeah..." I replied, cocking one eyebrow up at him, his eyes though, not giving anything away.

"Yeah." He repeated, rolling down into the seat opposite me before looking around him, lips twisting disapprovingly.

"What?" I snapped, staring down at his loose cuff, waiting for a glimpse of that blood, my mouth unwilling to argue again, especially not with Nial.

"It's not very nice here... shall we go somewhere a little nicer and... quieter?" He suggested making my heart pulsate under his glowing gaze.

"Um, yeah, sure." I floundered, not expecting that. He wanted to be somewhere quiet? How romantic!!

"We can walk, I know a really nice place just a few blocks down. It'll take 5 minutes." He said standing and holding the door open for me, my heart beating on my ribs so hard it felt as if it would break a  few of them.

We walked in a dizzy silence for a while, my mind reeling a mile-a-minute. Was he okay? It was nice he wanted to spent time with me... but alone? Was that good or bad? He had struck me as a complete player when we first met... I had been curious as to why he had chosen me... but was he ashamed of that? Was he suggesting we go somewhere else so people didn't know that we were... well, dating? That must be right, I mean he was so hot and I was just me. Normal, cute, fiery little me. These thoughts forced a sigh from between my lips, longing and passion infringing on my doubts.

"You alright? You're quiet..." Nial asked uneasily, his eyes boring down into mine.

"Yeah. I'm fine!" I said quickly, emphasising my words. "It's you I'm worried about, what's up with your hand?"

"It's nothing, I've already said, just a scratch." Nial replied, too fast, too fake.

"Yeah." I rolled my eyes, letting everything get to me. Everything!

"Lilah? It's nothing." He held me to face him, his hands raising little, joyous goosebumps on my skin. "Is this about your argument with your mum? What happened?" He asked, speaking to me like a child.

Then I snapped, "No, its not! It's about you! This whole vampire thing gets to me and, yes my family stress me out, but I really don't like seeing you so... hurt and secretive..." I trailed off, my mind regaining control of my lips and a faint blush crawling up my neck. Why did I say that?! What possessed me just to open my mouth and spill my guts to him?

Love. The little, annoying voice in my head suggested stupidly. I hardly even knew him, how could I love him? This just made me even more mad.

"And why do you want to go to a different restaurant? That one was fine, warm, in the public eye! is it because of the vampire's why we're hiding away?... or is it, is it something else?" I succumbed to my rant and questions, I just needed answers. Even after all of the talking Nial and I had done, I felt as if  had barely even touched the surface of his world.