Chapter 40

Hi :D

I hope you're all enjoying this story!!

If you like my work, please check out the story below, on my home page:

Second in the 'My Messy Life' series - Empty Threats? "Tessa and Matt, it would be fair to say, are completely and uncontrollably submerged in their new marriage. That marriage though, isn't the only thing that includes the phrase 'until death do us part' as they already know. The life they lead in a gang gets more and more difficult the further in they get dragged... but how will they manage in this messy life? Will their romance grow as quickly as the trouble around them does?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up curled tightly in the blankets, blinking away sleep as I rolled over to come face to face with reality. Any remnants of happiness sunk into the pit of my stomach as I remembered what had happened the previous night. Instead of blinking back sleep, I was fighting back the tears. I slid out of bed silently and padded across the room, Nial breathing deeply as he slept soundly, hunched over on the tiny camp bed. Once in his hidden bathroom, just as I had last night, I stared at my reflection, hoping to see right through the confusion in my mind and reach the answers that seemed to be lurking underneath. Just out of reach.

I cleaned myself up in front of the mirror, swallowing some water to soothe the ache in my dry throat. This made me cough and splutter painfully, causing me to clap my hand to my mouth in an attempt to silence my fit. When I pulled my hand away, straightening up, my eyes widened as I saw the shimmer of deep red blood splattered across my palm. My heart was pounding so loud in my ears that I didn't hear Nial walk in behind me.

"Hey?" His voice made me look up, my hand, instinctively, curling up into a tight fist to hide the blood. I licked my lips as our eyes met in the mirror. "Are you okay?" He took a step closer, running a hand up my back gently.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I replied a little too fast. I took a breath before finishing, "Did I wake you up?"

He ignored my question, letting his hand loop over my shoulder and capture my wrist, fingers drawing closer to the blood that was supposed to be my secret. "I smell blood." His fingertips held mine as he turned me around slowly, eyeing the frown that settled over my forehead. "Vampire senses." He reminded me before averting his attention to my fist-ed hand. I held it clenched tightly.

"Nial..." I breathed as he squeezed ever so carefully, prying my fingers loose. I let him win, my hand relaxing out so he could see the blood that he, really, already knew was there. "It's fine." I shrugged, tugging away in a weak attempt at forgetting the fear that I felt on seeing the blood.

"No, it's not..." He held my hand close, curling his hand over mine protectively. "Does this happen after you have those dreams? Did you dream-?"

"Nial." I rested my head against his tight chest, breathing in the smell of him deeply as I did so. "Relax. I don't know what it is." I wished I did. "But it isn't hurting me. Not really."

"You know this isn't good, and it's nothing to be relaxed about. The vampires, they're better than we give them credit for. If this has anything to do with them-!"

"But it might not." I held his face, steering his gaze towards me. "I have special blood. This could have everything to do with it and if that's the case then it surely can't be a bad thing." I loosened my grip. "And what can we do about it anyway?"

"Quartarius." He said suddenly.

"What?"

"Quartarius."