Chapter 17 - Seeing him

A big thank you to everyone who's been supporting and reading and voting! Every little helps - he he, good o'l Tescos!! :)

Anyway, do enjoy:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He arrived early on in the evening, before either of my parents got home. Mom was out with Nat on a nursery 'fun' day and dad always worked late.

His bike as ever, gleamed brightly but only in the corner of my eye as most of my attention was on Nial. He looked as good as ever: His hair messed and shiny from his helmet and his muscles shown off under his tight top.But again, I was forced to remind myself: He's just a friend, and a 22 year old friend at that!

I had so many questions to ask him and so few words to express how I felt.

"Why were you at my school today?... I mean, how are you involved with all of this?" I asked slowly, staring down into the mocha that I held tightly in my hands, my eyebrows furrowed and mind on over drive.

"I don't know how much of this I should be telling you..." Nial trailed off, mumbling to himself, "... but you are different."

"what?!... What is going on?" I begged desperate for answers and tired of not knowing just how I was involved in such a world as that.

He left me in silence, just sitting there, looking at me so hard it felt as if he saw straight through me, sending unusual little flutters down into my stomach.

"Please tell me Nial..." I sighed, his eyes flicking to mine, like a fog was lifting.

"To tell the truth, I just don't know... I..."

"What, Nial? Don't you think that I, seen as I've been dragged into this, should get some sort of an answer from you?" my lips moved on there own, my mind reeling and riveting under his strong gaze. I couldn't lie, he was film star, Abercrombie style, mega beautiful, hot!

"Yeah." He sighed, "I know you're right, I just... I don't know what would be best for you."

"I think me being even just a little bit prepared for the sons-of-bitches that are out there is safest for me." I said bluntly, causing gentle laughter to peel from his tight chest. I couldn't help but grin at his infectious laughter, those nagging worries just seemed to float away with Nial was there with his safe, warm, wonderful eyes of gold and chocolate.

"Well, I guess that's one way of saying things." He smiled gently, his face glowing with the lingerings of his laughter.

"Yeah." I agreed, also happy, the heavy stress beginning to lift from my shoulders as he finally decided to enlighten me...

"So basically there are like clans of vampires that travel - like gypsy vampires - and you follow them round, enforcing a vampire law?..." I said, twisting a spoon in my third cup of tea of that evening. My head felt as if it could explode with everything I seemed to know yet I, somehow, seemed to be hungry for this information that was turning my life upside down.

"Well, yeah... but these vampires, the traveling ones, they are all rogue and so we mostly end up having to enforce the... last law of the knives..." He looked down into his drink, tearing his eyes from mine reluctantly.

"And that is...? I asked, prompting him for yet more answers that, even I knew, I probably shouldn't be hearing about. No human should be hearing about things like this.

He didn't answer, instead an uneasy sigh pulled from his sculpted lips. I had though, already worked it out, I wasn't stupid:

"You kill them don't you?" I asked, my body stiffening and my heart pulsing inside me hard, a sudden worry flowing around me. I was with a killer... who had, more than once, saved my life. He killed the biggest, the baddest and the toughest. How did that make me feel? Worried? Scared? Helpless?