Chapter 41 - Games

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nial led the way on his motorbike, those leathers stretching across his back becoming a very comforting sight. I tried to smile, washing away the feelings of nervous anxiety and stress as I followed in my car. My efforts were of no use.

We pulled up outside my house after storming out just a day before and we were both scared. I was shaking and Nial's knuckles were white from where he was trying to stop himself from shaking. I had hoped we'd be away from longer. Just 24 hours wasn't enough time for this all to cool down. We looked at each other and our looks penetrated deep down into one another’s souls; it was as if we could read each other minds. It wasn't easy to mask the fear and stress. I was scared, undoubtedly, for my parents well-being most of all though. believe it or not. Sometimes I felt they didn't deserve it.

I looked back up at the bloodied porch and a wave of dizzying nausea came over me.

If they were harmed by the vampires, I didn't know what I'd do.

"We'll be fine." I said, gulping down air as if it would help. Courage or something.

"Yeah..." Nial agreed, not sounding to certain.

"Shall we?" I asked.

"Yeah... Let's go." Nial said and swung his legs from the car slowly. He helped me out and almost carried me to my front door, where I faltered and froze, staring at the blood and unable to take one more step forward.

Light radiated from the TV in the lounge, and I could see two silhouettes sitting, almost stock still. on the sofa. I couldn't help but frown. What the hell was going on? I glanced at Nial, asking him that very question with a look. He simply shrugged, looking down at the bundle on the floor. He lead me the rest of the way up the steps and onto the porch. Once we were closer, I saw that the bundle was nothing more than leaves and hay. We had been tricked. It was only a scare. The vampires liked to do that.

Nial's words, unpredictable, unexpected and mysterious, ran through my mind.

They only did it to keep us on our toes. You never knew if they were telling the truth or not.

Nial shook his head. "They want us confused." He more or less voiced my thoughts. "They're playing games. With you."

"Or with you?" I suggested, swallowing loudly.

My parents were in the lounge, safe and blissfully unaware, and by the soft yellow glow of the night-light on the landing, my sister was in her bed, sleeping peacefully.

I took a deep breath, took one final look at Nial as he pushed the ball of grass and hay into the flowerbed, and pushed my finger down on the brass doorbell. The blood was something we couldn't hide though.

Much to my joy my mom answered the door and she looked somewhat relieved to see me. Her eyes shone in the dull evening light with threatening tears and I wanted to hug her but her arms looked stiff and fixed by her sides. She didn't even seem to know about the blood.

"Mom?" I said quietly. "Is dad okay?"

"Yes." she nodded and glanced behind her into the lounge where the TV could be heard playing.

"Good..."

"I should get him out here." Mom said.

"Please Mrs Wicker, can I just talk to you." Nial pleaded at the same time I begged, "Mom, just let us talk with you first! Please."

She shook her head and let me down again, "Graham!" She called despite my hopeful eyes staring at her.

"What?" he called out from inside the house.