Chapter 27 - See the truth

Hopefully this is a better chapter! Longer at least :)

Enjoy - and don't forget to consider who could play Nial or Delilah!! Oh, and PLEASE please please listen to the video, its perfect and such a beautiful song <3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I walked towards the diner, my feet began to move slower and my heart faster, both compensating for the other. I was terrified of hearing something I didn’t want to hear. I was desperate for Nial to tell me that this wasn’t what it seemed to be. I wanted him to tell me that he was normal, not a vampire and not some sort of monster that I had grown to fear over the past months. I couldn’t escape the obvious though. His eyes were golden brown, mysterious and unique and intriguing, they lured people in and enthralled the mind. They were just like vampire’s eyes. Unavoidably attractive; they were a trap of their own, and one that I had fallen into.

The neon sign flickered, the ‘e’ failing and then gasping back to life again just in time. I had to be careful my breathing didn’t fail as my heart jittered and heaved, threatening to stop with the sheer weight of my nerves. A wind had picked up, making me walk just that little bit faster towards the diner, my legs shaking as I went and eyes scanning the street for trouble. That had become a bad habit now. I always seemed to be checking for danger… yet I couldn’t even see it when it was right in front of me. My feet froze when I saw Nial’s bike outside, my lungs hitching as raw fear burst through my barriers, for the first time my body letting it in. I couldn’t hold it out forever. It seemed silly to be so infatuated with someone I barely knew, but then again, what else did I have? I seemed so much like him yet so different we made up for the others weaknesses. Nial was annoyingly smooth and arrogant where I just about managed to blunder through my mistakes with confidence, and tried to be polite despite how life sometimes just made me snap. He was mysterious and attractive where I was just normal. We were both though, outsiders, never really fitting in. He didn’t fit in with society’s idea of logic and I didn’t fit in with my family. He moved around a lot like the free spirit that I longed to be. Through these thoughts I managed to make myself keep walking, hoping and praying that Nial wouldn’t let me down like my parents seemed to.

The warmth and light of the diner fell across me as I entered, the fine curtains just about able to block out the cold darkness of the night and the fluorescent lighting creating a sort of haven. I didn’t feel safe though, my heart was betraying me as it beat at a mile a minute, making my breathing sound kind of strained and scared. It was relatively empty, just a group of boys a year or two older than me that took up one booth and an elderly woman who sat witheringly over the counter made the diner look even remotely used. Nial sat at the back of the room in the darkest corner, a waitress resting on his table, leg resting flirtatiously on the bench where he sat while she held a pencil to her notebook awaiting orders. His eyes met mine the second I walked in, his jaw setting nervously making even more butterflies erupt into my stomach, bulldozing any hopes of being calm and composed. The waitress scowled at me darkly when I slid into the booth silently, her eyes raking up my body, lips turning down in distaste when she saw the bedraggled state I was in, no make-up on and my pyjama top creased below my hoodie. I felt, very suddenly, self-conscious, pulling down my top and pulling up the zipper to cover myself; I also shifted my hair, pulling it further round my face and trapping in my conscious fear.  Nial coughed shortly, eyes still fixed on mine, dismissing the woman with a polite prompting. She must have been his age, just reminding me how I was so very out of his league. He’d picked me because I was gullible, knowing he could play me, I was sure of it. We just sat in silence for a while, looking at one another, and both waiting for the other to speak. We were both terrified of the words we could utter, that fear clear in his eyes… his eyes that now, sent shivers down my spine. I didn’t want to know the meaning and depth behind them any more as I had once, as they had once enthralled me. The waitress returned with a tray, unloading two tumblers that contained a coffee coloured liquid and were deep with ice.