Chapter 37 - The truth hurts

<3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Delilah Wicker? You can leave now, but you have to keep your self save, okay?" The nurse smiled at me. She was, very vaguely, familiar to me. Not her face but her voice. I was curious, but my curiosity only grew when she turned to my mother and said, "Mrs Wicker. May I talk to your daughter alone for a minute. It's patient confidentiality."

My mother looked utterly bewildered but didn't argue. It was late at night by this point and she'd had a long day. She was probably exhausted. Funny, she was never too tired to argue with me.

"So, here's the deal Delilah. Your blood results were fucked up." Her bluntness shocked me, but I was altogether too confused to object. "I know Leo and Nial and you need to go and see them. I've replaced your results with some more normal ones-"

"Look. Sorry to interrupt, but I don't know you and we have nothing-!"

"No, I'm sorry to interrupt." Her hand darted out in a flash. "But you need to listen. I'm helping you here. I've replaced your blood results to stop the doctors and authorities taking you in and doing test on you like some animal. And I've done it to protect the vampires on my side. And by the way, you have met me before - remember, when I was with Leo and Nial after you got attacked that night outside the pizza place? I was there then." I couldn't muster the words so she just continued, loosening her iron grip a little though. "You have to go and see Nial and Leo. Tell them about your blood, how you cough up blood, and about the dreams. I think you're special..." She paused as if hiding something, but quickly skipped over the conversation. "Leo will know. He's been alive far longer than me; and it's a part of the family blood tie you need to ask."

I didn't think I could be any more confused. Wrong.

"Who are you?" I stammered.

"Ask Leo." She waved her hand flippantly, standing up to leave. "Oh, and if I were you, I'd go and see him now. You're hardly the safest little lady hanging around at this time of night."

Before I could question her she had gone, in the blink of an eye.

***

"Honey, I don't want you going out now." My mom snatched my car keys from my hand.

"Mom, it's not like I was in an accident. I only passed out... Plus Stevie and Tasha helped me. I want to see them. Then I need to pop over to see Hannah again at the hospital with some flowers.  should be back by 11pm." I argued, trying to keep my tone soft when inside, I was screaming. I was scared beyond my wildest imagination, for my well being, and that of my friends.

And I needed answers.

"No!" She snapped, making me recoil ever so slightly at her sharp tone and attitude. "You can wait, Delilah. What I say, goes; from now on that's how this will work."

I knew she hadn't gotten over the last drama. We were slipping apart and, with all the stress of the past three months, no one seemed to notice.

Of course, it wasn't long until we broke up for the summer before my final year of high school. It was then that my mother couldn't control what I did. That was why I was so anxious for the summer term to end. I needed to time to myself. If I was in as much danger as I was beginning to think, I understood that I had to grasp a firm hold of the life around me and stop it from throwing me off balance.

"Fine." I raised my hands in the air in surrender, "Whatever." and turned to stomp up to my room. My mother was shocked at how easily I'd given in. She obviously thought I'd learned my lesson from the last grounding I'd received.