2 5 ~ C a e s a r

Flashback ~ December 29, 2010

The man had reacted like they always did. He was confused. I could see that glare in his eyes, that glint of recognition. And then he just went blank.

The girl watching from behind the rack didn't, though. She was perfect. She could do my job before I could do it myself.

When the man had cowered in fear, she'd had a flare in her eyes. It was ambition, bravery. It was exactly what I needed.

It wasn't as if I hadn't tried this before, tried getting people to do my dirty work for me. It had never worked out. I'd never had a player with such potential to win my games.

The red headed pawn I saw sitting in the shadows, she was perfect. She wasn't going to cower when everything else was in front of her. She wouldn't lose.

I wouldn't let her lose.

I needed to draw her in, so let her take the money. I let her run from me.

And then I found her.

I followed her.

I scared her.

But she still didn't break.

I needed to get her to start playing. I needed her to get past GO. So I gave her a task. I used the best fuel possible, the best incentive that I'd ever found to use on my players:

I threatened your life. I told you I would kill you, and I told you what to do. Get the photograph, Anna, and maybe I will let you live.

But she is different. She is going to be different.

I knew I needed to control her. To get her to move where I wanted her to move. Get her to find what I needed to find.

Who I needed to find. Who I couldn't find myself.

So I'll do the next best thing. I'll bring out the big guns. I'll do what I hadn't gotten the chance to do with the others before they were proven worthless to me.

I'll threaten your family.

But that won't hold you back. You're too strong. You may be little, but you're bigger than my other pawns. You're new, and you've got potential.

I told her there was a way she could win and I knew she would try. But I can't let her get too far past the finish line or I might lose her. My most valuable player yet.

She is a fire that never stops burning red, and my job is to control that flame. But I can't put it out. I have to try not to. She is my best, and I need her to win.

The photo is just the key that opens the door. She needs it if she's going to play.

If you refuse to unlock the door, you know who's going to pay for it.

And if you stand up to me, I will keep my word.

Say bye-bye to Mommy and Daddy, Anna.

But I may have to kill you, too.