3 4 ~ A n n a

Flashback ~ December 29, 2010

The word "frightened," doesn't even come close to describing how I feel right now.

I was frightened when I took the money. I was frightened when I ran and hid from him. Hell, I was frightened when he was sitting right beside me.

But now he wants me to do something for him.

A murderer wants me to find a photograph for him. And that photograph is on a dead body.

Shortly after Caesar leaves, I get up too. Not before watching him saunter up to the crime scene and blend into the crowd of concerned bystanders.

Or before watching him crack jokes like a normal person with the police officer who was keeping people behind the tape.

Like he wasn't a murderer. Like he didn't kill anyone.

And definitely not before hearing him say something to me, his very own little catchphrase.

"See you on the other side, Anna."

I walk home. He knows my name. He has people watching me. If he needs to find out where I live, he'll figure it out.

I walk along the highway, the trees towering over me and the road stretching out farther than I could imagine walking. I have never felt so small.

The trek from my house to the grill is typically only ten or twenty minutes, but as I get further, I find myself taking shorter steps.

What happens if I don't do what he says? From what I can tell, he really only needs one thing right now. That photo.

And what am I supposed to tell my parents when I get home? I don't even remember if I told them I was going out. What did they do when I didn't come home? I've been out all night. They would have expected me back hours ago.

Did they call the police? The same police that will soon see me stealing money at the scene of a murder. I'm sure there are people out looking for me by now... but soon they'll be looking for me for another reason entirely.