Broken

This takes place in the Glade but doesn't really follow all the book's events

There had to be something they were missing, a piece they weren't seeing, anything that could get them out of there.

Thomas groaned as he rolled over, his mind turned like gears, trying to think of something that hadn't been tried. Finally he accepted he wouldn't be falling asleep anytime soon so he quietly got up and tiptoed into the calming clearing of the glade. Well it was calming minus the griever moans and scraping of the walls.

He wandered for a bit, taking in everything around him. In a way it was amazing, the way the massive walls could move and how just a few dozen boys built a life here. It almost seemed unreal.

"Shuck your bloody maze, shuck it all, I don't wanna bloody do this anymore!" Thomas's suddenly heard hysterical sobs coming from the dead lands by the maze wall.

He quickly scanned the area to find the body in which the sound was coming from. Soon enough his eyes fell on the second in command, his friend Newt.

He liked Newt, he also trusted him which made Thomas actually care about what was wrong. Newt was nice to him and surprisingly didn't think he was out to ruin everyone's lives.

He quietly approached him and sat next to him. The boy had his head between his knees and his hands frantically running through his hair.

"Newt..." Thomas gently said.

"Tommy is that you?" He slowly lifted his head and rubbed his red swollen eyes.

"Yeah, I uh...what's wrong?"

Newt let out a forced laugh, "what bloody isn't wrong? We're trapped here like animals! I just...we gotta get out of here Tommy. We bloody got to."

"Newt I promise you we'll find a way," Thomas lightly placed his hand on Newt's back.

"You know you're not to bad for a Greenie," Newt tried to crack a smile but couldn't hide the tears sliding down his cheeks.

He tilted his head back and looked up at the sky.

"Why us Tommy? I know I didn't do a bloody thing to deserve this," he took a deep breath then stared at Thomas.

"I really don't know, all that matters is that we get out."

Newt shivered and wiped his eyes,"it sure is shucking cold."

"Come here," Thomas suggested before realizing what he was asking.

Newt looked away for a moment then leaned his small body into Thomas's, who wrapped his arms tightly around him.

"You know Tommy, you give me hope," Newt said softly.

"Me and Minho are gonna work something out."

"I really hope you're right cause I can't last much longer," Newt sniffled and buried his face into Thomas's chest.

Thomas's heart rate sped up a few beats as he fully became aware of what was going on.

"Promise me something?" Newt asked quietly. His voice scratchy from crying his throat dry.

"Yeah?"

"Don't bloody die on me. Believe it or not but I need you Tommy."

"I need you too Newt."

That's when Thomas realized he actually needed Newt. He always took care of him even when everyone else was against him.

"We'll look out for each other alright?" Thomas lightly pressed his lips against Newt's forehead.

"You bloody bet," Newt laughed, he actually sounded happy.

Newt shifted so he was practically on Thomas's lap. He rested his head on his shoulder and lightly draped his arms around his torso. Thomas wrapped his own arms around Newt's back, really enjoying the feeling of the boy pressed against him.

"You should sleep Newt," Thomas whispered.

"I don't wanna go back to the homestead, you make me feel safe, like how I imagine home feels like." Newt slurred, his voice groggy from exhaustion.

"I never said you had to move," Thomas tightened his grip, really not wanting him to get up.

Newt made a small pleased sound and let out a deep breath.

He was lightly snoring within a matter of minutes.
"I'll get you out Newt, you and Chuck both. I swear," he placed one last small kiss on the top of Newt's head and then closed his eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep himself.

Hey guys! So this is my Maze Runner one shot/imagine book. I'll gladly take requests and just to let you know I'm Newtmas trash so expect a lot of that. Remember to vote and comment! Thanks for reading!
-Kara